Monday, January 25, 2021

More on Rona 10

Dan here ~

I got the top up to the border assembled on Rona 10 but haven’t decided on a border yet. After I visited last Friday I discovered that I had miscalculated. Well, to be honest, I actually was looking at the wrong set of numbers for the chain blocks. Back to the sewing machine to create 35 more chain blocks.

Rona 10 consists of 3 different blocks. Two of them are very similar with the third being a chain block. The two similar blocks both started with 3” finished blocks. Many of these had been made when I was puttering and cleaning up stash bins and playing at putting various shapes together to get 3” finished blocks. These blocks are made up of a variety of combinations. There are many V-block stars, 9-patch units, some friendship stars and many that just were assembled because I thought they looked cool. 

Scrap Quilts


Scrap Quilt

Scrap Quilts

Scrap Quilts


The 3” blocks were then framed with one of two different 3/4” finished light fabric then framed again with a 3/4” grey fabric. Much like Rona's 8 & 9. In the earlier two tops I continued framing with another set of blocks around this to make 9” blocks. This time I stopped at the two frames and that gave me a 6” finished block.

I decided on a chain block to go as the alternating block and started piecing. The chain blocks are made up of a 2 1/2” finished square-in-a-square units in the center and 1-3/4” squares in the corners. 

Scrap Quilt

In the layout I used the two different lights in the framed blocks and alternated them between the chain blocks so that they followed diagonally down the quilt top.

Scrap Quilt
Rona 10

I am pleased with the outcome BUT like with many designs I would tweak it if I were to make it again. I wouldn’t rule that out, because I enjoyed the random assortment of the 3” blocks and I have bins full of little pieces.

The change I would make would be in the chain block. I would use a 2” finished square-in-a-square in the center and 2” finished four patch units in the corners. This would give the chain block a little more interest and in my eyes “fit” the scale of the small pieces that make up the 3” blocks.

Now on to borders. Any ideas?

Boy Oh Boy was it cold on Sunday ~ high teens and wind gusts at times in the 20’s. I made my walking goal so that was good. The rest of the day was spent trying to get the dang quilt top done.

Wind

I’ve probably rambled away enough of your time. Till next time, enjoy.

1 comment:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...