Friday, January 22, 2021

Frozen Pond

Dan here ~

The frozen pond talks to us a lot this time of year. The cracking sounds of the ice expanding and contracting with temperature changes made me curious.

My internet research told me that the dense ice of this year was caused by having the pond freeze over and then get covered with snow. Then the snow got saturated with water when it rained. After freezing again, the ice is dense and creates low frequency rumbles and cracking sounds. It sounds really cool, but scary as hell. You hear the rumble all around you and even hear, as well as feel, the subtle cracking of the ice.

Dan


Earlier this winter I had thrown a tennis ball out on the ice. It was shortly after the pond froze. I kept commenting about the tennis ball on the pond, (‘bout drove Carol crazy) then we got snow and the ball disappeared.

The other day I threw another tennis ball out on the pond. I usually make a circuit out onto the ice before I head out on my walk and kick it around. Yesterday when I was out kicking the ball, on the second kick the ball sat spinning on the ice when it stopped. I walked up to it and son-of-a-gun, it had stopped right next to the original tennis ball. I figured it was spinning because it had found a friend. I let him stay there for the day.



My walking is on track, actually I have quite a few miles in the bank. On track is 38.9 miles a week, I have logged 155+ miles to date. (read about my goal for the year here) There is still a lot of days left this year and I’m sure there will be many miserable walking days. Like Joe Walsh said, “I may be crazy, but I have a good time”

I have completed just about all of Rona 10’s blocks. I should easily finish that tonight. Hopefully by Monday I can have the top sewn together and can talk about it on then.

Scrap Quilts

Have a safe and happy weekend, see you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...