Monday, January 11, 2021

Plugging Away

Dan here ~

I am still plugging away with Rona 9. There are three different “blocks” being used in this quilt top, where only two were used in Rona 8. That change along with changing the cornerstone and sashing color makes Rona 9 a companion to Rona 8.

I described two types of framed orphan blocks last post. I mentioned that I had thought of another way to frame the 3” finished orphans rather than attempting to put them on point and sacrificing some of the points. I decided to leave them as 3” finished blocks and frame them first with a light 3/4” framing border than another 3/4” framing border of the grey like the other 2 blocks.

Scrap Quilts


I am pleased with the results and hope to finish the top within the next couple days. The next quilt top idea that will be Rona 10 is in my head and soon will begin the planning process. More orphan blocks along with more scraps will be used. More about that one another time. I think Rona 11 is about all formulated as well. I guess I need to sew faster, my hands can’t keep up with my head.

I have been doing good with my walks. As I stated in an earlier post, for lack of any other goal, I am shooting for 2021 miles walked in this year.

The math says that I need to walk 5.55 miles a day or just under 15000 steps.

So far this year the weather has been great considering that it is January in Maine. I have met my goal and have been building up a reserve in the “bank” for those days that are just too cold or miserable to get that many steps. 

 At the end of the day on Thursday January 7 (the end of the first week) I had walked 136,334 steps or 51.7 miles. My goal states that only 38.9 miles are needed weekly so that means that during week 1 I was able to put 12.8 miles into the bank. Carol thinks I’m crazy, I’m pretty sure she has thought that for years but that is another whole topic.

A part of todays walk was spent walking on the pond. 

Walk

Part of the pond is snow covered, part is ice. Not a smooth ice, more of a rough ice formed from snow and water freezing on top of the better ice below. Although knowing there is 5” plus of ice on most of the pond, when the ice makes it’s massive groans you can feel it’s grunts and cracks and it can cause the hair on the back of the neck to kinda stand up. Beautiful walk though.

Walk

Guess I better get back to sewing, these Rona’s don’t sew themselves together. 

Oh yeh, I also need to go back out for another walk, I always liked making deposits at the bank. Till next time, enjoy, keep quilting. Take a walk, it’s kinda addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...