Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ 

By the fire. Beautiful, calm and warm evening. Time will tell if there is a decent sunset. It’s nice finally to have a calm evening and be able to have a fire. My wood pile is getting enormous. There must be close to 12 cord up on the hill. All split and stacked. I suspect that none of the big pile will get used before next season.

I worked on some big wood today to help out a neighbor. A big tree came down during the spring storms and was still up against the house in the back yard. It was a lot bigger wood than I normally like to play with, but I was able to utilize my tractor to do the heavy lifting. I could roll the two foot diameter chunks unto the bucket fitting only two side by side. A few times I was able to lift another on top to move three at a time to get them down to the hill to be split. At the point I am at the splitter, I can stand the splitter on it’s nose and roll the wood right onto it. I can then split it into small enough pieces so I can right the splitter and split them normally. Good exercise, I can’t quilt all the time, I don’t think I can at least. Well, maybe, time will tell.

Still no sunset.

The wind was so strong the other day that our neighbor Russ had his sailboat out for the first time this summer. As he changed tacks out in front of our place it looked like his butt cheeks may have been tightened as well as all the sail lines, before he caught the wind. 



My “gardens” are doing well. 



I am still thinking that the wind will be my downfall. I have already had to extend my sugar snap pea trellis higher as the peas were reaching ever higher. 



Tomatoes are blossoming and there are several green ones. Two of the tomatoes came from California in the mail. Hopefully they didn’t come with any weird grandiose ideas. They are growing fine though. 



Overall at this point I am pleased with most of the “kids”. The sunflowers are doing well, though if they get too tall the wind will destroy them. 



You got it time will tell.

In the studio I am still working on #15 for 2024. Several more days until completion of this one. I will be loosing my studio tomorrow night as daughter, Erin, is coming for the night. I’m sure a kayak ride or two will be endured. But no sewing, I think I’ll survive, but..time will tell. Hopefully it will be a fire night.

Until next time stay safe and have fun it’s almost really summer. Time to bitch about the heat.

Got a little sunset.



Also got the moon peaking out of the clouds. 



It was a nice evening, had it not been for the mosquitoes. For that is the real reason I came inside. Oh well. Good night from the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...