Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Monday evening. Carol experienced a very nice sunrise this morning. 



I very seldom see them. I do enjoy sunsets. Here is Sunday’s evenings sunset. 



I do not get up very early in the morning as it is technically morning when I go to bed. Most nights the only reason I go to bed when I do, is because I like to be finished with breakfast by 10:00. Most mornings I almost make it. I am a believer that if you eat a big enough breakfast, late enough, there is no need to eat again until supper. Maybe why I need to put rocks in my pockets to hold me down when the wind is blowing. 



Most of these have been in my pocket for many, many years ~ a couple more than twenty. One was new this summer when we went to the coast, I think it was from the walkway out of Perkins Cove. Probably one reason why I’m so careful in the kayak in the summer, if I fall in I’d probably sink fast with the rocks in my pocket.

We did get a little snow. The snowblower on the tractor works great, except when it is trying to blow slush. That is what we received during one of our recent storms. The snow blows quite well. I am beginning to wonder if we will get any real snow storms this season. If we don’t, that’s ok too.

I have been hiding out in the studio where it is warm, usually too hot. 78 degrees right now. I did manage to get a great deal of my corner cleaned up and lots of fabric cut into different, usable pieces. The strips are still heading into four patches and 4-1/2” squares into 3-1/2" square triangles. Nice to have a large selection of pieces all ready to go to pull from as I start assembling this years tops.

I completed the first top for 2024 and hardly made a dent in the pre-made blocks I showed you last time. (I also made a whole lot more) I alternated them and sashed with two colors zig-zagged down the quilt. 

2024-1


An interesting look but don’t think I will continue with that look as I had planned.

#2 for 2024 is well on the way. Not what I had planned, but I have learned not much in life goes as planned. I used the same two blocks, except this time I put them on point. I also gave them a much busier sashing strip. I am still assembling so you will have to wait to see that later. 

Hopefully, I don’t screw it up as I go from the floor to the sewing machine and back to the floor. Trust me I’m good at that. Every time I design a quilt on point I do a fair amount of cussing. The final assembly is not my favorite part of the process on any quilt. I enjoy mind numbing unit and block assembly. I must still have quite a bit of assembly to do because I have no idea what #3 will be yet. Usually as completion nears, new ideas surface. Time will tell what comes next.

Enjoy your week’s activities, they say we have rain coming. I hope it doesn’t make too much mess. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...