Monday, January 29, 2024

Blah

Carol here ~ 

I had a rough week last week, felt crappy most of the week.  Dan drove me to my oncology appointment Wednesday where they swabbed me to test for the viruses. Didn't think I had any of them but they figured I was there so they might as well test.  All were negative.

Don't know what what going on but started to feel better on Thursday.  Managed to get started on the quilting on 2023-36 finishing it up on Friday.

2023-36

Quilted up 2023-37 over the weekend.

2023-37


So my week wasn't a total wash out.

We went out to our storage unit yesterday to look for backings for the next two quilts as  I didn't really like any of the fabric we had kicking around here.

We had ice fishermen on the pond most of the weekend.  Guess they deemed the ice was safe as they were all over the pond and I didn't see anyone fall through.


Looked like they were having fun.

We had visitors the other night.  Dan took this picture around midnight.  


Looked like they were trying to get to the bird feeders.  Damn things!  The deer, not the birds!

It's almost February!  Enjoy these last few days of January.


Dan here too ~

I just wanted to bring you up to speed on this years quilts. I finished #2 for 2024 the other day and #3 for 2024 was completed last night.

First #2, on this one I used the same two blocks as on #1. The main difference is I put the blocks on point this time. I arranged them in diagonal rows surrounded by a sashing strip of yellow with green and purple vines on it. I popped a pattern of lopsided stars on the sashing using Corner Pop III, popping at 3". By the time I had popped about 10, I had decided I wish I had popped larger to make a larger star and reduce the amount of sashing. Oh well, I kept plugging along to see what would come out. This is what I got. 

2024-2


I decided it was ok, I was seeing too much purple in the border and thought the stars were lost. Purely functional, I’m sure that when completed if you cuddle up in it you’ll be fine.

In #3 for 2024 I added 16-patch blocks to the mix and made it the dominant block. I again went with an on point design in an effort to see if I could “correct” what I thought was missing in #2. This time I popped at 4-1/2" using the same star pattern only now making a bigger statement. 

I removed the purple from all corner stones with no stars and added the red in it’s place. The reduction of purple in the body of the top also helped the purple stars stand out. I used a 1/4” narrower sashing this time as well. After framing with a 2-1/4” purple border I finished with the red and sashing color 4-patches all the way around the quilt. I threw some purple along the outside because I was all out of the red fabric and decided as long as it was not up against the purple border it was ok. The square in a square blocks anchored the corners just perfectly. 

2024-3


I personally like #3 much better than #2 but each to their own. Feel free to let me know your preference in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...