Friday, July 28, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Thursday evening, sitting by the fire. 



A beautiful evening. I did not think I would get a fire this evening due to the storms. However, the storms have apparently happened earlier than I expected and are now gone. I slept through the storm so I guess you could say it was a nap length storm.

Let me back up a little bit first. This morning Carol and I headed off to Augusta to Maine Quilts. A lot of interesting quilts on exhibit, many of the same type of quilts like I have been creating. A lot of appliqué and art type quilts which do not appeal to me as much. Still a very nice show. Carol was excited to find an Innova dealer located in Maine. That was a score, otherwise we did not spend much time with the venders. I have plenty of fabric, I hate following patterns and I have all the tools I need to continue trying to use up the fabric I have. No need to be tempted. For the shopping inclined though, there appeared to be some eager venders with the normal array of supplies, both those you need and those you think you need. You know, the tools you find in your goodie boxes years later with the plastic wrap still on.

I digress, while we were at the show a catastrophe occurred. We were looking at some quilts on one side of the auditorium and hear some noise on the other side and the displays were rapidly falling down. Well, being the kind of guy to run to the problem to try to assist, I took off to see if I could help. 


 
Quilts were everywhere. I helped pick show quilts off the floors along with all the hooks and extension hooks that were scattered everywhere. Don’t tell the quilt police, but I didn’t see many white gloves being used. Eventually the Civic Center crew had their part done and the volunteers began to rehang the show. I got out of their way at that point. Carol and I saw what else we wanted to see, it was fun to see so many familiar faces and relive some memories of past shows.

When we got home, I refilled the woodbox for the fireplace with two trips with the tractor and got back into the house just as it started to rain. I then laid down for a nap and that is why I slept through the storm.

My cucumber bed has produced three fruit so far. There are several that are just about ready. 


 
I am now seeing more bees around so maybe I’ll see some refrigerator pickles in my future.

Still in the garden, if you remember in a blog or two way back, I talked about some tomato weeds that came up beside large planter. I babied it into the fall to gather fruit so I could save the seed. I saved the seed, planted it this spring, babied it a while as I transplanted it a couple times then built them a planter. They are looking good, 



and as I was peering about I found these little guys. They only get about 1/2 inch when ripe, I am encouraged. 



Saw a couple bees while I was getting the earlier pictures. One of my bee friends. 



She was all a buzz getting the nectar from my Cleome weeds. But that’s another story.

Quilt wise I am still playing with trying to come up with some scrappy 6” finished blocks. Preferably using up the plethora of 1” x 2” finished half rectangle or Split Rect units. I have not found one I’m in love with yet, but more 6” blocks are being thrown into the mixer. I’m sure a quilt top or two will come out of what is happening in the studio.

Stay safe and enjoy, Vanessa and grands to come on Friday and it is supposed to be hot and sunny. Hopefully, I can get some errands done before she gets here. One errand being get some blueberries picked. Our house guest, grandson Evan, sure likes blueberries and blueberry cobbler. Hopefully I get moving early enough, time will tell, it all depends on how late I stay in the studio.

Enjoy your weekend.

PS. I almost stepped on this big guy on my way into the house. That would have left me a mess to clean up in the morning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...