Friday, April 28, 2023

Good Grief

Carol here ~ 

Many years ago when I was out on my early morning walk a dog came running out from behind a house and grabbed my arm.  The owner called him and he let go and headed back out around the house.  It was winter.  I had on a thick wool sweater and my parka.  The dog still broke the skin on my arm along with bruising it.  Ever since then I have been very leery of strange dogs and even dogs that I was familiar with if their owner wasn't around.  I am OK if I know the dog and the dog knows me but......lets just say I'm not a dog person.  (nothing against those of you that are, that's just not me)

We'll get back to dogs in a minute.

I have been laying low all month per doctors orders as I had surgery at the end of March.  Been doing good even though I can't do much.  (I'm bored)  I can walk so have been getting walks in when it hasn't been raining.

First thing Wednesday morning I had an appointment with my dermatologist to remove a cyst from my upper back/shoulder.  Nothing serious, it was just big and ugly and needed to go. Dermatologist removed it, threw in some stitches and sent me on my way.  More instructions to take it easy and to not remove the compression bandage until Friday.  Dan and I went to breakfast then headed home where I reclined with my book.

By afternoon it looked like the sun was trying to peek out so decided a walk and some fresh air wouldn't hurt me so headed out.  Dan stayed home.

I was walking along minding my own business when I hear a very loud barking dog.  I look up and a big black dog is barrelassing straight at me.  I just had enough time to raise my arm up before he latched onto it, knocking me down at the same time.  Wicked hard.  

The homeowner yelled at him and he let go and headed back to the yard.  I am sprawled out in the middle of the (dirt) road, covered in mud, shaking like leaf, trying to take stock of my body parts and hoping a car doesn't come.  I finally decided that nothing is broken but I am shaking so much I can't get up.  The guy comes out and helps me up and tells me he will give me a ride home.

He brings me over to a big honking truck.  The floorboards are above my waist.  Ummm, nope.  I tell him I recently had surgery and there was no way I should or could pull myself up into the truck.  By this time the wife is in the yard so she goes inside to get her car keys.  In the meantime I am sitting on the washboard of the truck with my head between my knees because I feel like passing out. 

I can feel my arm hurting so I take off my jacket.  Not pretty.  My arm is bruised, skin is broken in a couple of places and entire forearm is purple.  I'm glad I took my jacket off so they could see what he did to me.

So, the guy brings me home.  Dan takes one look and says we're going to Urgent Care.  I had to change my clothes, my shoes and even my underwear as I was wet and covered in mud.

Our biggest concern was infection because as you all know I have a compromised immune system.  Dan had checked my jacket and there were no holes in it so the dogs teeth did not puncture my skin.

The doc at Urgent Care cleaned and wrapped up my arm and we headed back home.  By this time I'm feeling a whole lot of hurt in other parts of my body.  Let's just say I wasn't moving too fast yesterday.

Remember the part where I'm suppose to be taking it easy?  Well, I'm just hoping when the bandage comes off my back today that all the stitches are still in place and also hoping all my innards are still where they are suppose to be.

Sheesh.

And to continue the story, neighbor Jeff was out yesterday and Dan was telling him about it and he said when he and his dog walked by that house last week the black dog started coming at them but the owner was outside and called the dog back.

Should I call the Animal Control Officer? A lot of people of all ages walk that road.

Hope your week has been better than mine, have a great weekend!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...