Friday, March 31, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Thursday evening. I think that the wind has finally let up, at least I can no longer feel the vibrations of the house with each wind gust. I don’t really like the wind but it seems like it is a constant here on the pond. There is a fair amount of open water on the neighboring pond, but Green Pond is still locked in tight. It needs to get warmer than it did today to continue the melting process.

I had seen a coffee mug that I showed to Carol. Well, she found it on line and bought it for me. 



I don’t really know how much discussion is necessary regarding the message on the side. But as we talk and I drink my coffee in the morning, the comment has been made, “ better hurry up I’m almost to The Line.”

Quilt #21 for 2023 has been completed. I decided to follow the same basic idea that I used in the previous top. This time I made my difference be that the blocks are made up of four different variations of two different colors forming the sashing strips and corner stones found within the blocks. For the sashing strips around the blocks I used my Corner Pop III and popped at 6” making my base width the same as my sashing strip. I think it makes the star look more complete.

2023-21


Remember the whole premise of quilts #1-21 has been centered around depleting my 3-1/2” bins. I started with three, full to the top. This series has reduced them to enough left in ONE bin to remind me this is the 3-1/2” bin. There is also enough room in the bin for the rest of the 4-patch units. I’m not abandoning them only moving on for a bit. 



#22 is being made from leftover pieces of the earlier quilts in the series. You know, the pieces of border left after cutting what you need, the rest of the width of fabric you cut, but only needed a piece of, also, all those pieces I get when I trim the top when Carol & Lena are done. Three of the sides may not be very wide but they are the length and width of the quilt. Lots to work with. I sat down at my computer after looking at my assortment of fabrics and EQ8 and I arrived at the following block.



The block is an 8” finished block which means since I am using a 2 “ sashing strip, I will need 42 blocks. Carol’s comment when I showed her the block, “that will slow you down a bit”.  Time will tell how long it takes. It’s not difficult piecing just repetitious.

Enjoy your weekend, I’m hoping for warm weather. I’d really like to take the snowblower off and put the loader back on the tractor but I ain’t freezing to do it. I’ll stay in and sew. Stay safe. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...