Monday, February 6, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening. What a change between the last few days and today. After below 0 temps, today’s 30 degrees almost seemed balmy. Note the “almost”, I included it for a reason. I anxiously await Spring. Carol is also anxious as well. She knows then I won’t be sewing as much.

Saw some of Mother Nature’s pets romping on the banking beside the pond. I was looking out the window drinking my coffee and cussing at the bird that hit the window and see a 
Fisher. Much too far away for a picture but with binoculars I could easily see what it was. Cool to see and we wonder how often a variety of wildlife goes unseen. I’ve mentioned the tracks on the pond and that we never see the animals that make them.

The birds have been busy at the feeders. Thanks to the wicked wind we had there is bird seed all over the place. On the ground around the feeder and all along the front and side of the house. The mourning doves aren’t complaining. 



Carol is moving along with the bindings as she gets my latest quilts quilted. Today we took #1 and #2 for 2023 outside, laid them out on the pavers and they got their first “all done” pictures taken. 

2023-1

2023-1 Close up

2023-2

2023-2 Close up


#10 for 2023 also had it’s first picture taken last night. On this one I still used the 16-patch as the primary block. I added 8 blocks with pinwheels as well. This time I put the pinwheel in the center of the block. I had wanted it there on the last quilt but decided not to as I couldn’t think of a way to still create the 10” block as four 4-patch blocks. Each of them trimmed with the 4-patch square up so I knew I would have perfect 10-1/2” unfinished blocks every time. While on our walk the other day I figured out how to do it and it worked great. It allowed me to make 4-patch blocks with 3 squares and 1 half square triangle. Problem solved. 



I’m still making 4-patch units as I think about what the changes will be to make #11 different from the rest. At least a little bit. I’ve got some ideas so I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I’ll know before you but that will have to be ok.

So enjoy the beginning of your week and someone will yak at you another time.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...