Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Tuesday evening up in the studio. Shades are closed tonight trying to keep more heat inside. It is getting cold out there. 

Woke up this morning to a surprise, between 3 and 4 inches of snow fell overnight. It was a nice fluffy snow, not like the last storm that went splat when I shoveled it. This time the snow made very little sound at all. I cleaned it all up, even where I had failed to last time. This was beside the house and the neighbors fence. I was too tired last time to shovel it out after raking the roof and having all the snow land there. There is only about 6 feet between the house and the fence. Whatever I had pulled off the roof landed in the area. Well it got cold after that. This means that the snow that is there is frozen. Which means that it needed to be grub hoed loose before it could be shoveled out and put into the wheelbarrow and then hauled off. 




A pain but beats carrying every shovel full out to the driveway and then blow it away. I’ll get the rest another day.

This afternoon I was treated to an interesting sight in the clouds. The sun was behind some clouds and the fringes of the clouds were all different colors like a broken up rainbow. I would have been able to get a picture of that, but my phone was being a pain and said it required my password, my face wasn’t good enough. By the time I typed it in the moment was gone and this was the best I could get. 



Quilt top #8 for 2023 or what I guess is being called a flimsy today, is ready for Carol. Don’t know if I’m totally on board with the whole flimsy thing, but each to their own. 

In #8 I used two blocks. The 16-patch I have been using



and another that incorporates a pinwheel in the corner as one of the 4-patch blocks making up the 16-patch. 



This second block can be spun into different placement possibilities. Quick and easy and the pinwheels add interest and move the eye around as I did not use a sashing strip this time.

Still using up those 3-1/2” squares along with a few other pieces thrown in. Remember, I have a very big stash. Much like the 3-1/2” squares bin I have been using, I can see a very slow reduction of “stash” in the storage unit. VERY SLOWLY. I do see the bins I’m working on at least starting to have less in them. I don’t think I could consolidate the 3 bins I started with into 2 bins yet, but I firmly believe that it will happen. Maybe after 6 or 7 more quilt tops I’ll be able to. 



#9 is done as well. 



I went the same route as in #8 and used the same two blocks. The difference this time is I used more than one color pinwheel to bounce your eye around better. I made little attempt to get any symmetry in the placement of the pinwheels. I figured it would keep the eye moving more as they tried to see something that wasn’t there. I have ideas for # 10 so I’m sure more of the 3-1/2” squares will go away.

Enjoy the rest of your week and someone will yak at you later.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...