Monday, January 9, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Well, we got enough snow to say it snowed, not much more though. Little did I know when I bought my snowblower that I would jinx the season regarding snowfall. There is a very small amount in the forecast for the end of this week. I guess time will tell.

The carpenter came back on Friday and built doors and created a small cupboard over the Murphy beds/design walls. 



He got one coat of paint applied and will be back this week to put the second coat on to call it complete. He only has one small project left on his list to do here. That is to build a small outside storage closet to replace a cheap plastic one we bought. Hopefully that will be the end at least for now.

My first quilt top for 2023 is complete. It is much like the last quilt of 2022. I made a slight variation in the construction of the 64-patch block and added another color to the stars. 



Small story demonstrating my stupidity with these quilts. When I started on the sashing strips etc. on the first one I started making flying geese. After making a bunch I decided I wanted to do the sashing strips by popping the corners and not use all flying geese. 

Well, I naturally made too many flying geese as they were used only around the perimeter of the top. I had used up most of my 2” squares so I figured what the heck, I’d do it again and use up the rest of them. So I turned the rest of the squares into 4-patch units and started making the new 64-patch blocks. While trimming my oversized blocks down to the right size I had noticed if I altered how I trimmed my 4-patch I could obtain a lopsided 4-patch. I decided to use red and blue and get these little bow ties in each block. 




Decided it really was too subtle for much effect but kept up the process anyway. Just because. I added the third star color to keep me on my toes when I sewed on my replacement triangles in the sashing strips. By the way, there was just enough of the previously made flying geese, I did not have to make anymore.

My next error was in thinking I needed thirty five of the 64-patch blocks to make the second top. So I made thirty five of them, 18 with the blue and 17 with the red. When I laid the blocks out to begin assembly I realized I only needed twenty four of the 64-patch blocks. 

So, it’s beginning to look like 1536 Version 3 (1536 is the number of squares in the 64 patch blocks) may well be quilt top number 2 for 2023 as I already have 11 of the 64-patch complete. I will probably make the remaining blocks like the 1536 Version one and just mix them in with the others. The sashing strips etc. will be different next time to change it up.

Still think I should have enough 4-patch units already made to trim up and get the other 13 blocks completed. I remember how I made them if I need more. I better keep good count this time and not get extras, I’m getting sick of making these blocks. I was ready to move on to something different. Oh well, keeps me off the streets.

I’ll keep plugging along and try to pay more attention.

Enjoy your week, I’ll do my best to enjoy mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...