Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Well, we are just over half way through January and still almost no snow. It has not been real cold either. The water is running in the brook from Mud Pond into Green Pond almost as quickly as in the Spring. We can see almost daily the water line work it’s way farther up the beach. Most days the water entering from Mud Pond causes the edge of the ice - beach line to break and shift. Fun to watch, until it isn’t. Kind of like the saying, “It’s all fun and games until someone’s wiener falls in the fire”. If water runs over the retaining wall, well, I have no idea what happens at that point. This time I’ll say, hopefully time won’t tell.

I’ve been busy since I chatted last time. I was right, the larger sized blocks than what I normally work with quickly make a top. Especially when size restraints keep me at around 55” x 75” for our donations purposes. On the next ( #3 for 2023 ) I did use the 4-patches trimmed to 5” finished and coupled them with one of the 5-1/2” squares I mentioned finding in some baggies. To add interest I popped 3-1/2” off one corner of each of the large squares and added back a bright yellow. I liked how it came out. 



So for the next one I opted to make the pop slightly smaller. I went down to a 3” pop. This time I added green back to half of the squares and blue to the other half. 



The greens kinda got lost and maybe I should have used the blue on both. I still like it. Another top ready for Lena and the donation pile.

On the next one I am going back to a multi 4-patch type block. Only a 16-patch because again, using 5” finished 4-Patches units gets me to a 10” block rather quickly. I will go back to a cornerstone and sashing strip to get my pop. I need to find the right fabrics to get the pop I have in mind, but I’m sure I’ll find something in my stash that I can make work. You guessed it, time will tell.

Enjoy the rest of your week, Carol and I have a date today but I’ll let her tell you about it on Friday if she feels it warranted it. It’s been so long, it may turn out to be a dud and maybe the less said the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...