Monday, January 2, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

We made it through the weekend without loosing our power. That is a good thing. 

Happy New Year! Let’s hope 2023 is kind and gentle to all of us. 

I am feeling more like myself every day. I no longer seem to have the stamina or desire to do a lot of projects any more. I guess maybe I need to accept this as my new normal. I really don’t want to do that. 

The weather has been uncommonly warm, I even had a fire on the last day of 2022. I was burning up some of the blowdown from the past wind storms. That could be a continual process if you are like me and like the look of nice neat surroundings.

I gave up out on the pond. I removed four wheelbarrow loads off the pond and burnt them. I hardly made a dent in the quantity of them out there. After the warm weather and the rain I don’t really know if I completely trust the pond right now.

This is what the pond looked like earlier today, New Year’s Day. 



I know that this is just water on the surface and that the six plus inches of ice that was on the bulk of the pond is still there. However, as you can see, the water is up to the edge of the swim float. When I was leaf raking in November I was driving the tractor on the pond side of the float, with all kinds of room on either side of the tractor. If this weather keeps up and we continue to get major rain events our beach will be covered long before ice out. As you know time will tell.

As I said last time I talked at you, I had found the fabric I was using on the then current project. The fabric was cut and the quilt top was completed on December 31, 2022. The last top of the year. I really like how it came out. It is a decent size snuggle quilt. About 56 x 80 in size. 



The idea when I started this top was to use up a box of 2” scraps. They lined this container stacked on edge, one full layer and 3/4 of the second layer. 



What is left is on the table and is headed to be more 4 patch units. 



On my pressing area is several hundred already assembled, either ready to be trimmed or ready to be pressed and trimmed. 


 
Slow monotonous process. I am planning to turn many more of them into 64-patch units. There will be a slight variation in the block construction this time just to keep me on my toes. We’ll see another time if you notice the difference. At this point in the process I have no idea whether I will use the same sashing concept. I think that it worked well this time and it was relatively quick to create. I used flying geese around the perimeter and chose to pop the corners on the sashing strips instead of using flying geese, thereby eliminating two seams in each sashing strip. I thought it made it look cleaner and was possibly easier to complete. I have plenty of time creating the 64-patch blocks to either dream up a different looking concept completely or to decide to just use a different color combination and possibly the pattern I create with star placement using more colors. As always, time will tell.

I hope the upcoming bad weather is a rain only event. I don’t know if I can handle another wet, heavy, tree breaking storm. What we get is what we get. We’ll just have to hunker down and deal with it.

Stay safe and enjoy the start of 2023, may it be all you want it to be. Until next time, enjoy your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...