Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Tuesday evening and you guessed it out by the fire. 



The weather here has been incredible. It did finally get cold enough that the tomato plant that I had been trying to get some tomatoes out of finally got frosted. Not completely but she’s a gonna. I want the six to eight tomatoes that I got to ripen for their seeds. I have never done it with tomatoes before. I used to grow a lot of my flowers from last year’s seeds when I had the greenhouse. Don’t see why I can’t cut open the tomatoes and let them dry and plant some in the spring. Wait for it… time will tell.

My carpenter showed last Friday and replaced the ridge vent on the house. 



Fingers crossed no dripping this winter. That’s right, time will tell. 

They were here today as well and put a solid base under my storage building where I put my tricycle.



I got it ready for them and leveled on Monday.



Hopefully it will solve the dampness issue in there. 

He is also getting started tomorrow on the new shed. The pads are in place and materials arrive first thing on Wednesday. 



It’s not very big, fingers crossed it should go up quickly. You guessed it… time will tell. He seemed to think the next day or so maybe ready for the door and the siding which will both take a week or two to get. Hopefully, the next day or so shows some progress. Love it when a plan falls together. Oh yeh, he leaves on November 11 for two weeks of hunting so lets hope for no snow so he can continue when he gets back.

The leaves have been weird this season compared to the past couple. It seems that most of the oak leaves fell over the last storm. They all ended up in the corner of the beach. So far I have taken 19 loads from that end of the beach along with 10 loads from the rest of the beach. I am almost through with fall, but there are still more to remove. I’ll get them eventually, if the weather holds like this it shouldn’t be a problem.

I have changed my mind regarding the border on my current project. Now I am working on layout. If you remember I was going to use three borders - two solid and one pieced. I have now decided on four borders, two solid and two pieced. 

Now I am trying to figure out the layout of the double pieced border. Do I want a repeating pattern that carries around the quilt and one can easily see a repeat? Or do I want a randomly placed layout around the quilt top? I am an ordered person and I think I will enjoy the quilt more using an ordered layout. I think tonight’s quilting time when I come in from this lovely evening out by the fire will include some math time and some counting of what I already have created. Remember going from a single pieced, to a double pieced bordered, doubled the number of pieces I needed to have. 



I do enjoy not following a pattern and making it up as I go. At least Carol can’t say I’m making it too big, the extra border only adds 1-1/2” finished. It will still be a lap quilt. I’m trying to grow to like that size. I have always liked an intricate design, small pieces, then make the quilt big. Thereby getting a big wow when exhibiting it in a show. No more shows, no need for a wow quilt. I guess I’ll finish mine and go back to donation lap quilts, some may still be wow quilts and maybe I’ll find a way to give some of you a chance to buy a few of them to cover the batting costs of the donation quilts if anyone might be interested.

Enjoy the rest of your week, I am in hopes to see some things happening around here over the next few days but … time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...