Monday, June 13, 2022

Dan's Rambling's

Dan here ~

Beautiful weekend, went to Rangeley for oldest grandson Evan’s graduation from high school. 



A nice ceremony and a reminder what a small town we chose to spend most of our lives. The joys of knowing most of those around you. Or at least in most cases who their parents are. 

One of the traditions they observe is passing out roses to parents, grands and in some cases aunts and friends etc. Here is the two that Carol and I received. 



If you look at what was photo bombing the rose picture than you see a hot mat trivet that I made about 55 years ago. 



My Mother had a 4-H group (all girl until I came along) that did all sorts of different projects. The trivet was made from small ceramic tiles attached to masonite. My mother used these for years and now that is what we use. I have 3 of them. Memories from the past, but functional today. I guess this is maybe an example of my earliest quilt block layouts.

The planter is filling out quite well. 



The foxglove from Rangeley are looking fantastic. Carol and my favorites. 



Hopefully, I can get some more growing wild around here. I’ll collect seeds and spread them around. I am in hopes of getting to Rangeley when the lupine are going to seed and gather a bunch of them to scatter as well. Never enough color, too green dominant this time of year.

That said, I saw this on my walk the other day. 



It seems like in all parts of nature some things strive to be the first. I hope that it is a while before we see leaves changing color. Although July and Maine Quilts is coming quickly. Haven’t decided if I’m excited or not…. yet.

We watched a snapping turtle wear down a big bass that he caught by the tail. He/it could not let go for another bite because the bass would swim away. He/it must have dragged it back and forth along the shore 5-6 feet out for an hour or so. Finally the bass was worn down enough that the turtle was able to let go and get a better bite. The bass tried to swim away but did not display enough life left to accomplish it. I’ll spare you the pictures of this.

The beauty out over the pond nightly as I sit by the fire pit reading and enjoying life is ever changing and awe-inspiring in it’s depth. 



Sunday night’s last display before dark. Most of you know that I write these the night before, usually out by the fire this time of year. Tonight the frogs are deafening as they sing their songs. A calming serenade as I end my day outdoors soon to be headed in to sew. Good night / good morning to all reading this. Stay safe and enjoy until the next time we connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...