Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

This is not really my favorite time of year. I like the waking up of the various forms of vegetation. I don’t like the varying temperatures. The buds are getting very red on the maple trees now as they anxiously await a few warm days to begin opening up. The woods will rapidly close in as the leaves open up and I will loose my ability to look very far into the woods.

Two Common Loons have been seen fishing and cruising around the pond. We saw some antics one of them was performing. We thought maybe it had gone loony, it was flopping around and flapping it’s wings and acting very weird. We thought maybe there was something wrong with it. I finally took it to the Google and found out that the loon was performing an in depth cleaning. It’s antics were it’s way of getting water over and around all of it’s feathers to rid itself of foreign materials and parasites etc. Interesting, it was quite a sight to see.

Evan’s quilt has been coming along I am about 50 hours in and have half of the top complete. Only the Lemoyne Star part blocks remain to be made. 



The rest are fabricated and waiting for the stack of in-process star units to be completed so more quilt top can be assembled. 



I will say that top assembly is a challenge. Trying to keep track of where I am and not get something in the wrong location is difficult, to say the least. 



Thanks to those of you that have purchased raffle tickets for the Maine Quilts Raffle.  There is still lots of time to still get yours.  Read more about it here.

We have seen some turtles around the pond, I saw one on the ridge evidently crossing from the brook and coming back to the pond. 


 
I saw a dinner plate size one in the brook as well. The beaver dam is still growing and providing something for them to work on in the evenings. I quilt, they build dams. I guess we all need a pastime. 

 Enjoy the rest of your week, consistently warmer weather will get here. Someday. I hope.










 

1 comment:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...