Monday, August 30, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here, Sunday evening, no fire this evening. My body is still getting used to the sudden drop in temperatures. Much colder on my walk today. Only walked a little over 4 miles. Enough to reach my mini goal of 5000 steps and stopped at just over 12000 steps. Last Wednesday my fitness watch hit the milestone of 550 days. This means that I have made my goal of 5000 steps for 550 days. Actually I have made it for a lot longer than that, this marks the day I reset my goal from 10000 down to 5000. This was also the day I broke my collar bone and further messed up my shoulders in the great sledding debacle of 2020. I haven’t been the same since. That 550 days represents a lot of miles walked. Since December 31, 2020 I have walked 1514 miles, not bad for an old dude. This was as of last Thursday, with 19 weeks left of this year that means I only need to walk about 26 miles a week to get to my goal of 2021 miles for the year. Still thinking I’ll make it, we’ll see.

Pretty calm out this evening, probably should have had a fire. 



The view from the studio 


Still plugging away on the current quilt project, I am not out of the green fabric yet, although the pile is dwindling. I have not gone to the storage stash to find something to use instead yet. I am instead operating on the misguided illusion that I won’t use it all up. I’m sure we have all been there. I am also sure that I will find something else to use in it’s place. Time will tell what it turns out to be. I’ll figure out something even if it means altering the design somehow. This top has given me some insane ideas though. Time will tell if I decide to use them or not. The sashing strips are using up my 1-1/2” squares though. With 96 squares in each one I have had to resort to cutting more from larger scraps. I have also thrown in some whimsy by adding some 1/2” finished half-squares for variety. Yes, I could use smaller squares to make my 1” finished four patch units, but 1- 1/2” is small enough for my fingers to work with. They get trimmed to a precise one inch 4-patch anyway, not that much waste. The way I look at it, most people would have thrown those 1-1/2” squares in the trash a long time ago.


Saw two Fisher on my way home the other day. A beautiful animal. I saw one cross the road and slowed to see if I could see where it went and another one shot in front of me. Sleek and fast, felt lucky to have seen them. 

Saw one of those hippie squirrels on my walk also. It was running across the road and looked as if it were wearing a brooch as it carried a large round mushroom. Carrying it by the stem with the round mushroom cap facing me. It looked excited by it’s find. Probably glad to have something to bring to the party.

Well enjoy, or at least tolerate, the cooler weather. I’m sure warm weather isn’t over yet. Yak at you later in the week, maybe cooler temps will mean I get some sewing completed. We’ll see.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...