Friday, August 20, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here, Thursday night, no fire this evening. Raining out there and everything is wet. Oh well, I suppose I don’t need to sit out there every night. No audio book tonight anyway.

Had a beautiful sunset last night 


Not much happening tonight though. It was actually a very quiet week. My walks were a little off this week. There always seemed to be an excuse to not walk enough to make my ultimate daily goal of 5.5 miles.

Still scrapping away on latest quilt project. The bag of green 3” squares is getting somewhat smaller but there is still a significant number left.


I have no idea how far the bag will last. I guess when the bag is empty I’ll need to re-examine where to go at that point. With the green being used in three separate units they get cut up quite quickly. The block that I have decided on (at least as long as the green holds out) is this. 


I get to use up quite a few squares in the 36 patch in the center of the blocks. The sashing strips use up a lot of 1-1/2” squares. 96 squares in each sashing strip. 


The cornerstones will be 3” finished V-block stars. I only need to decide on a color for the stars ~ I could make a few and see how they look. If the green runs out too early I will need to come up with an alternate block using something other than the green. Otherwise I will wait to see how many blocks I can make before I run out. If I get enough blocks for a decent size center I could always do something for borders to grow the top larger. Unlike the 5” finished block in the last top, the 14” block in this top seems very large, even though the pieces are small. (of course the pieces are small, I said at the top of the blog, “Dan here”, so that means small pieces). The sashing strips use many small pieces and put my 4-Patch Square Up tool to good use. In the block I use my Wing Clipper and Square-2 tools. This design again uses framing strips to avoid the need for lining up too many seams. Most of the tops in the “Can I Use Up My Stash” series utilize this design technique. Using framing strips or varying the scale of the units used both lend themselves to keeping seams unaligned and easier to assemble.



Not much to ramble about tonight, I think I will go sew. Hopefully you enjoy your weekend, I will. Stay safe.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...