Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Rona 15

Dan here ~

Good Morning, all is well here on the pond. The ice is all gone and the ever present wind daily brings a new supply of stuff to clean up from the beach. 

Saw the eagle flying over yesterday morning, always fun to see.

I guess they are still Rona quilts although I have begun to view them as my “Can I use up my stash?” series. The Rona quilts then become part of that whole group of original, scrap quilts.

I guess this one is Rona 15. I think I’ll also call this one “Dash for the Stars”. Hopefully you’ll know why a little later.

As I mentioned before, I decided that I would throw something together based on the brighter fabrics that Carol had used on several of her recent projects and had ended up in my get rid of pile. 

Scrap Quilts


I like the basic design of the Churn Dash block, clean and crisp looking. I did not want to deal with as much repetition as 3” finished blocks so I opted for 4 1/2” finished instead. I figured out my needs per block and proceeded to power through the 320 half square triangles and assemble the 80 blocks. 

Scrap quilts

Scrap Quilts

Scrap Quilts


I then visited the same line of fabric and chose a similar fabric that was still on the bolt as well as some scraps. I used this green and framed all 80 of the Churn Dash blocks so that they are now 6” finished blocks.

Scrap Quilts


For sashing strips I thought I would again use the Corner Pop II and jump from the 3” pop I used in Rona 14 to this time using a 4” pop. A 4” pop means that the completed popped sashing will have a 4” high spike and will go all the way across the end of sashing strip, right into the corner.

Scrap Quilts


I saw that when I did this on each end of the sashing strip, not much, but a thin strip was left of the original pink sashing strip. A good thing considering Carol’s dislike of the color.

I liked the secondary pattern created from this pink diagonal stripe. I thought long and hard about what to use as the corner stones. I opted to keep the stars that were subtlety formed and use the same blue as the star points.

Scrap Quilts


The framing border is on and trying to decide if I stop now or add another border and if so, what? 

Scrap Quilts


Enjoy spring, last night the tree frogs were out in full force making their loud calls. The ducks are fishing as they rest up to continue their journey to wherever the are headed. They won’t stay too long.



Have fun, I do.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quilts and a Recipe

Carol here ~  I've had a couple good out front patio binding sessions this week. I finished up 2024-3 earlier in the week 2024-3 and 202...