Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Pond

Dan here ~

With this lovely clear albeit cold weather, I have wandered around on the pond on snowshoes the last couple of days. No, not all day just an hour or so both days. Made loops and circles and followed them around aimlessly lapping and overlapping as I went. Sounds dumber than it was, at least to me.

Green Pond

Yesterday I went with Carol, we walked about three quarters of the way up the pond. I was following Carol and noticed that a lot of her steps brought up the slush laying under the snow. This occurred in some places and not others.

We found two places that had what appeared to be open water. Circles about a foot or two in diameter. One was in about 8 - 10 feet of water based on where we were on the pond. I stayed well away from this one.

The other one was closer to shore in what I knew to be 2-3 feet of water. I approached this one with Carol’s walking poles. I easily broke through the surface layer of ice and the pole dropped about 6 inches and hit ice again. Interesting, I thought, a layer of water on top of the ice.

But no, I moved the pole around within the hole and found it dropped to what had to be the bottom of the pond. For some reason the pond is not frozen there. Was this what we saw in the other location?

I decided that this years ice is not normal. We obtained snow very quickly after the pond froze over with only 2-3 inches of ice being present when it snowed. We have then had several rain events that has melted the surface snow and turned it back into ice. With the two spots of open water that I noticed, I think that I have decided that I do not need to spend any more time on the ice this season. 

Green Pond

I am continuing with Rona 11, three more corner stones for the border and finish attaching everything all together and it will be complete. I promise to bore you with it next time. I have no idea how detailed you want me to be. So I guess you will take what I give you. You can always ask questions and I could get into more detail. Detail enough I guess that you could duplicate the quilt top if you wanted. It’s doubtful any of these will be made into patterns, although I may repeat a couple of them with a closer attention to color than my scrap version.

I am pleased with the results of Rona 11 so far and like a few of you I can’t wait to see it completed. Slight set back but I’ll get it right, just a little rip it time. 

Scrap quilts

Sew on and take time to just be. Until next time, enjoy.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

Green Pond


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...