Thursday, January 28, 2021

TBT ~ The Piano/Coat Rack

Carol here ~

If you are on my personal Facebook page then you have already heard the old piano story as I posted about it last winter. It’s a good story ~ thought it worth repeating.

This piano (circa 1895) was always in our camp
that belonged to my Grandmother Lena Cushman here on Green Pond.

Green Pond


It sat in the living room with two big Indian heads sitting on the top (which scared the bejeezes out of me when I was I kid ~ don't know the story behind them). It came from the homestead, Cushman Hill in Bryant Pond, ME.

After posting this on my personal FB page I learned that my Aunt Arline was one of the family members that played it often. In fact, she played the wedding march on it for my parents when they were married here at the pond.

Wedding

While I was growing up here, many a night was spent with a family friend
playing it while the rest of us (friends, family, Green Pond-ers) gathered around singing. Good old fashioned fun!

When my parents were thinking of tearing the old camp down and building their log cabin in it's place they didn't know what to do with the piano. Our girls, Vanessa and Erin, were either already taking piano lessons or were going to, so the piano went to Rangeley where it made it's new home in the corner of our dining room.

Over the years we had it tuned several times ~ it never held. The last time we had it tuned the piano man told us the soundboard was cracked and it couldn't be tuned anymore.

About that time we were installing new wood flooring throughout the downstairs of the house. The old piano weighed a ton and left furrows in the floor when we tried to move it so we decided it had to go. I was so sad as I loved the scroll work and the wood was in excellent shape.

Coat Rack


So, Dan dismantled the whole piano and saved the pieces that had the fancy work thinking someday it could be made into a coffee table or something.

Fast forward 10 years and WE are moving to Green Pond. The pieces of the piano were still in the basement of the Quilt Inn. Do we bring them with us? Yep!

Now here we are at GP with our construction done and we were thinking we needed some type of hooks or pegs at the back door to hang coats on. (click here if you missed our re-model post)

Dan came up with the most wonderful idea ~ how about we use the old piano, put hooks across the bottom and use the top piece of the piano for a shelf for the top of the coat rack. YES I said.

It was installed at the back door inside our new addition. I love it!

Coat Rack

Coat Rack

Full circle ~ the old piano is back at camp!

1 comment:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...