Monday, November 23, 2020

Welcome to our Home


Welcome to our first blog post! As we mentioned in our “About Us”, we plan to use this blog as a personal journal of our life here on the pond, our quilting, our family and whatever else seems important to document. Sometimes Dan will be posting, sometimes Carol will be.


Carol here ~


I thought I would start out by giving you a tour of our little home here on Green Pond. 

My parents re-built the original camp in the mid 1980’s. It went from this

Green Pond, Spring 1983


to this


Green Pond, New Log Cabin, December 1987



September 2019

to this

Green Pond, November 2020


Our remodel job started last October. Since my Dad passed away in 2003 the logs on the cabin had not been chinked so it was quite drafty plus the original windows were in need of replacement. So we decided the practical thing to do would be to insulate the outside and install vinyl siding ~ which is the only thing we planned to to at first. But once the carpenter got going we figured to just go ahead and make all the changes we wanted all at once so we could sit back and enjoy and not always be “under construction”. I had lived in too many “under construction” projects throughout the years, I was not interested in dragging this one out. Here is what we ended up doing:

  • Insulated the outside, apply vinyl siding.
  • Replaced all windows and doors.
  • Removed the back deck, turned it into a sun porch/mud room/whatever room
  • Slid the bathroom door down a bit so a bigger vanity/closet would fit in the bathroom.
  • Completely remodeled the kitchen.
  • Added his and her closets to either side of the window in the bedroom.
  • Sheetrocked over a lot of the original logs as they were water stained.
  • Floored over half of the open ceiling in the loft so we would have more room for our quilting.
  • Installed lots of built-ins to make the best use of the small space. (we came from a 2500(+) sq foot house, lots of stuff to find a home for. Did I mention we have two storage units? ugh.)
  • Installed new vinyl plank flooring throughout ~ I love this flooring! I don’t have to worry about sand from the beach or dripping bathing suits, everything wipes right up!
  • New electrical, generator and HVAC system.

Here is the end result~


















We had one more project this fall ~ the hardscaping and replacement of the retaining wall out front.  I will let Dan fill you in on that project.

And now I am off to finish up the rest of my steps, still got 1500 to go.  It's dark out and raining so I guess I am left to laps around the house. Lots of laps as this is a very small house!












7 comments:

  1. well welcome to semi-retirement you have accomplished a lot in a year,Congrats! looking for to reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Loved watching your past posts. Watching you both sharing your lives and hobbies and retirement ventures. God bless and enjoy the festivities coming up. πŸ¦ƒπŸŽ„πŸ€ΆπŸŽ…πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first post! You have a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even pretty in person! I look forward to future posts. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. It doesn't look like the same place I saw the last time I was there. Glad for you guys. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your home looks charming! So happy for you and Dan, but still sad when we drive by your old home in Rangeley. Will be following you and your new journey

    ReplyDelete

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...