Thursday, December 17, 2020

TBT ~ Baby to King

Dan here ~

I walk a lot. I used to to say I needed to get a dog so I didn’t look so weird always out walking, regardless the weather. Good thing I did not get one then, one of us would have to go now. Ain’t room for us both.

Anyway, when we lived in Rangeley I walked around the downtown streets and would repeatedly go by the Episcopal church on Main Street. This time of year I would look at the nativity scene as I walked by and would kinda chuckle almost guiltily on some zero degree days ~ ”damn, that little dude looks cold” and got to thinking, (cause face it walking alone there is a lot of head time), I think I’ll make him a quilt.

So I started in. Of course in my head little dude equals little quilt which translates into small pieces. After about 14 hours I had produced this. 

King


I was not really impressed with it but wasn’t taking it apart.

The next day my walk took me past the Catholic Church and by golly they had a nativity scene there as well. Little voice in my head starts yelling you can’t make just one, someone will be offended that a quilt was made for the Episcopalians but not the Catholics.

I decided not to go there. Also I’m hearing the other little voice in my head, she sounds a lot like I remember my grandmother, saying “someone will take offense about covering the baby so perhaps you had best just stay out of it."  Oh well it seemed like a good idea.

I liked most of the little mini and recognized what I did not so decided to make another “correcting” what I thought needed it. 


King


After creating the new block I decided to see where it could grow from there. By the time I was through growing it, it had grown into a king. Just like the little dude that had started the whole project in the beginning.


The process started with the corrected version of the mini. I then ran around it a few times with small flying geese and a bunch of tiny four-patch units. 

Quilt


Once I had decided that I liked where it was heading I began thinking about scale. Mini is 1” scale for the most part. How about I grow it much the same way the mini grew, with flying geese and four-patch units. I grew it that way until I could now surround it with units of 2” scale. 
Quilt


Grew it with the flying geese and four-patch again as well. You guessed it doubled in scale. 

Quilt


After reaching this size I decided that I wasn’t done yet and proceeded to grow it even larger now using 4” scale. Carol is screaming at this point it’s to bloody big. But heck it fit on a king bed quite well. 



1 comment:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...