Friday, December 11, 2020

2-1/2" Saga - 'Rona 6

Dan here ~

We made it to the last finished quilt in the series ~ 'Rona 6.  (working on 7)  The post on 'Rona 1 is here, 'Rona 2 is here, 'Rona 3 is here and 'Rona's 4 & 5 are here.

In ‘Rona 6 I turned to a traditional 2 block quilt design with no sashing. Thankfully, I did not have enough nine-patch blocks left to make a very large quilt (and I don’t usually make small ones), so I turned to an old favorite of mine, the V-Block star. 

Scrap Quilts


It’s always a question for me as to what to use in the center of the star block. I tried a square in a square block but unfortunately that left me matching all the points for each star block.

Scrap Quilts

No thanks, not that I can’t get them perfect, I can. I have reached a point in my life where I am not trying to impress anyone and getting the quilt out of my head and usable holds higher merit than re-sewing for perfection. 

So I vetoed the square in a square idea. I decided to use a simple red square to go with the blue star points.

Unable to call the block design complete I proceeded to pop off the corners and replace with the red. Block #1 ready to go. 

Scrap Quilts


For block #2 I decided to use some of the many 4-patch units that I had assembled as “leaders and enders” and trimmed to 3” finished. 

Scraps quilts

I kept it simple and my block #2 was nothing more than 4 four-patch blocks sewn together

Scrap Quilts


I added an inner border of the background fabric then finished with another piano key border. By the way, I’ll have to use a piano key on another quilt soon because I somehow have some rather long pieces of border left over. And the bin of assembled and trimmed 4-patch blocks has taken on a mind of it’s own.

Scrap Quilts


I did end up using the the square in a square unit in the center of one of the V-Block stars as kind of a “Where’s Waldo”. Can you find it?

Scrap Quilts


Carol quilted this one with a digitized pattern called Dewdrops In The Garden.

With winter rapidly approaching and 6 ‘Rona quilts complete Carol decided a photo was necessary to mark the event. The 6 quilts were laid out on the beach, 1-6 all playing together.

Scrap quilts

Scrap Quilts

The lighting’s not great this time of year but still impressive looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...