Thursday, December 10, 2020

TBT ~ A Quilt and a Recipe

Carol here ~

My Throw Back Thursday quilt for today is “Quadruple Bypass.”

This quilt was designed by me at my mother’s bedside during her cardiac quadruple bypass surgery in 2007. 

The four feathers represent the four repaired arteries

Quilt

and the pieced border was inspired by the heart rate monitor.

Quilt

I allowed lots of background space so I could quilt my favorite design into the open space ~ feathers! (this quilting is all free motion)

Quilt

Quadruple Bypass won Best of Show and Exceptional Merit ribbons at the Maine Quilt Show. It also received a Teacher’s Award at MQX show in NH. 

Quilt

This is one of my most favorite pictures of my mom and me. She was so excited that “we” won ribbons!

My Throw Back Thursday recipe is from Dan’s mother, Gertrude Perkins. She was a great cook ~ this is one of our family's favorites. 

Dan started to make it the other night and I yelled WAIT! This recipe is too good not to share, let me snap some photos!

So, here it is ~ 

Deep Dish Apple Pie with Candied Crust.


Butter an 8" square dish

Recipe

Peel and slice 5-6 tart apples or enough to fill the dish 3/4 full.

Recipe

Combine following ingredients in bowl:
1 cup sugar (1/2 white, 1/2 brown)
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine

Recipe

Mix until it looks like cornmeal

Recipe



Recipe

Pat mixture on top of sliced apples

Recipe

Bake in moderate oven @325 for 45-50 minutes or until crust is slightly brown and apples are done

Recipe

Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream

Recipe

Enjoy!

Bet you can't make just one!!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...