Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Feathers!

Carol here ~ 

I love the look of stitched feathers on a quilt, they are so elegant looking.  Before I got my robotics for my longarm in 2019 all my quilting was free motion.  Feathers of all shapes and sizes were my favorite things to stitch and I was pretty good at them if I do say so. 

I was looking back through some photos of quilts that I quilted with feathers so thought I'd give you a show.

Here is one of my favorite quilt jobs that I did for our friend Michelle. Love how the feathers pop and fill the space.


Here is another one of Michelles where I quilted leaf-y feathers in the border.


This one is mine, named Atlantic Sunrise, pieced while we were vacationing on Jekyll Island, Ga.  Yikes, I was really brave using the red thread on that one!


Calm Seas, a pattern by Michelle Hiatt, was pieced by Dan.  It hangs over the railing going up to the quilting loft.


One of my favorite of Dan's designs, this one also hangs here in the house.

Spotlight on the Stars

Lotsa Lemoyne's, another Dan design.  


Here is one of the last free motion quilts I did.  This one about did me in, I was trying to complete the quilting as the quilt was entered into the Machine Quilter's Expo Show.  I had many 4:00 am mornings trying to get as much quilting done as I could before the shop opened.

Certifiable

So, that is just a few of the custom free motion quilts with all kinds of different feather shapes.  I also stitched what I call an all over feather.  I stitched a medium-ish stipple over the whole quilt then went back and filled it in with feathers.  Time consuming but I would crank up the music and just go.

Here are a few with all over feathers.




I do miss the free motion quilting as I only use Lena Longarm computerized now.  My old body isn't what it used to be.

Anyway, I was looking through some digitized patterns and found this one called Abundant Feathers which looks just about the same as my free motion all over feathers.  I purchased the pattern and used it on a quilt I finished up yesterday.

Abundant Feathers




So happy I found this pattern!

Hope you enjoyed my little trip down Memory Lane.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...