Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~
 
Monday evening. Things have been rather uneventful around here. 

The garbage disposal was leaking the other day so I had to try and locate my plumber’s hat and pull the disposal out and reinstall it. Seems to be ok now. It was an inconvenience, but not the royal pain in the butt like it would have been for most people. Carol just had to listen to the old geezer plumber that showed up complain about not being able to see what he was doing. 

The process reminded me of something my grandfather, the plumber, once told me, “if you have to see what you’re doing under the sink, you’ll never fix much”.  He is more right now than ever before. If I can get my head in position to see something, I’m either too close or can’t get my head cocked into the right position that my double vision allows me to see anything.
I decided doing plumbing service work was a lot more interesting when I was younger. 
A - I could get into the awkward positions needed to get anything done a lot easier and with considerably less pain, and 
B - I used to get paid quite well for having to do it. It kinda made it worth it. 

Fixed it anyway, at least until next time. You guessed it, time will tell.

On Sunday we went to visit Vanessa and her family for our youngest grandson’s Jakob’s birthday. As I said last time it’s hard to believe 14 years have passed.

The design for quilt #8 for 2024 is mostly formulated. The idea for the bulk of the pieces came to me as I was trimming a 3” finished V-block. I had been thinking about using it and to pop off something on the corners after trimming. I decided to use my Corner Pop II and to mirror the V-block. 



This gave me this cute diamond inside a 3” finished square. 



The pieces that I “popped” off the V-block I saved and added them to a 2” V-block center  and arrived at this trimmed 1-1/2” finished block. 



I also discovered that since I was using scrap squares to get my 3” V-block centers and not strips like I would normally do I was obtaining lots of pieces left over from the square. Naturally, I paired them with others and trimmed them as Split Rect unit or half rectangles. I am acquiring an abundance of these 1” x 2” and 1-1/2” x 3” finished units. 



I have developed a plan for using the 3” blocks with the diamonds in the middle but am still working on a plan for the V-blocks and the Split Rect units which will go in the center. 



I am finding that the concept of having the majority of the quilt made up of the 3” diamond units and the rest being made up of the waste pieces that had been generated from making these 3” units, a rather intriguing thought process. It almost hurts my brain.

I trimmed quilt #43 from 2023 yesterday, 

2023-43


Carol is almost done with the quilting from last years quilts. It will be outside binding time before long.

I’m going back to the process, enjoy the rest of your week, more spring weather is sure to come. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...