Friday, September 4, 2026

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Thursday evening up in the studio. Tonight’s too is it’s too chilly and damp so no fire. It seems that it is always the calmest on those nights. It is just as well, as I have not rebuilt much of the woodpile yet. I have been working on the driveway as energy allows the last few days. I redid some of the ditches and cleaned out the sediment that has washed in. I was awful glad I had not put stone in last time, as it would have been a pain to clean out now. Twelve yards of crushed gravel has arrived and I have started building the driveway up to get it to slope over to the ditch again and not run down the road as much. We’ll see how this goes. It worked well last time and with a larger budget last time I honestly don’t think I would be redoing it now. Hopefully this is the last major attack I will ever need to make doing it.


The flowers are still holding up although I am about over the petunias. This may even be the last season for them. Too much deadheading, too hard on the fingers. If I’m going to beat up my fingers I’d rather be sewing. The sunflower that the birds must have planted in the barrel of Sunpatiens is doing fairly well. It is blossomed, although it probably wonders why it was planted in the shade.  Been fun watching it grow, there was two. Alas, one did not make it.



I have picked a couple handfuls from the “weed” tomatoes now and Carol has used them in her salads. 



Now to save the seeds and be able to set out plants in May, not be looking for emerging weeds. It is quite a process to harvest the seeds, allowing them to ferment etc. I’ve read about it and will need to ask the google when the time comes. I have done it before and it worked ok, remember, I don’t need a whole bunch of plants. Just six or eight. Unless I decide to sell a few. I might have better luck than I do selling quilts. I have a plethora of them if anyone is interested, Christmas is coming. Nice lap quilts.

The hummingbirds are still around. I have been told that the males left a while ago and it is the females and this years new ones that are still zipping around. They are very active playing and chasing each other around and visiting the flowers that I planted just for them. I saw one looking in the window this morning and often see them sitting on the feeder frames. 



I don’t feed the hummers other than lots of flowers that they like. I know I would never remember to keep the feeder as clean as it should be kept. They don’t seem to complain about the flowers. I say that but I don’t know for sure, I don’t talk Hummingbird. I do talk to them when I am watering and sometimes they will hover two feet in front of me and we just look at each other. It doesn’t look like it understands me either. Oh well.

Carol and I saw this Green Heron on a recent kayak ride.  I tried to get pictures when it went into stealth mode, never saw what it was going after.



In the studio I finished quilt #44 for 2026. The size is 65” x 75” and the top is made from 8” blocks with 2-1/2” sashing strips. 

2026-44


I used two different cornerstone stars. With one I used Corner Pop II at 2-1/2 and replaced with red to get the single red star. With the other star I first popped at 4-1/2 and replaced with the blue and then popped again at 2-1/2 and added the red star, still using the same tool. The scrap piece that I popped off to get the red I used and is the pieces for the stars in the corner blocks and the other two matching blocks I used elsewhere in the quilt. The red border tied it all together and made for a very pleasing quilt top.

I am currently back for a bit doing my “cleaning” and in the process building 6”, 8” and 12” blocks. How I will use them has not yet been determined, but I have faith in the voices in my head.

The weekend is supposed to be rather nice for the season. The season is cooling and I will now need to pay attention to night time temperatures so those tomatoes can be covered when frost is forecast.

Stay safe and enjoy what we have left for summer, no black flies lately anyway.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ Thursday evening up in the studio. Tonight’s too is it’s too chilly and damp so no fire. It seems that it is always the calmest...