Monday, December 4, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening. It’s not snowing but the ground is white and it is supposed to snow during the overnight and most of the day tomorrow. I hate when first snow arrives when the ground is not in any way frozen. It means that there is a good chance that a little soil relocation may occur along with the snow relocation. I hope not, time will tell. I think I’m ready. Ready as I’ll ever be I guess. The beach was white this afternoon but it did not appear to be affecting the ducks.



I think that the annual onslaught of the leaves has ended. Saturday I was able to get the beach looking nice for the last time before winter sinks it’s teeth into the area. I am still seeing signs of branches from the beaver but can’t see from this end of the pond where they might be feeding. I went up on the ridge to see if the trail they made was being used much, it surely is. I could see where they have worn the leaves away on a couple places and I could see where their feet had been digging into the bank getting up over the hill. Hopefully the ice will keep them in the brook.

The birds have begun to come to the feeders. It’s a good thing, after over two weeks with none, I had about given up on them. Today brought some chick-a-dees and tufted titmice, some finches and a couple different types of woodpeckers. I adjusted the feeders and put up new suet to replace the one I think a raccoon pilfered. I put it in a different location. Hopefully it can’t reach the new spot. It is kinda fun watching the birds feed and pick on each other.

I was really pleased with how Quilt #41 for 2023 top came out. I once again found orphan blocks to get me started. These were 9” finished. I think they were originally samples. So I started with these 9" finished LeMoine Stars. I decided on a 3 x 4 grid of blocks with a wide sashing so I would not need a border to get to my go to size of, in this case, 58" x 75". 

I first framed the Stars with black to get the blocks to 12" finished. I decided that I wanted to pull my pieced units in the sashing away from the black so after I created the diamond rect unit accompanied by the slightly altered Square squared units I joined them with, I attached an 1-1/4" sashing color strip on each side to get my 5-1/2" finished sashing. The square squared in the sashing was created oversized and trimmed to the 3" finished needed. This pulled the square away from the the edge of the unit so the points on the Square squared did not hit the points on the diamond rect. Just made assembly easier. 

I am pleased with the result. I really like this one. Now to think up another idea. 

2023-41


I did come up with a new idea after cleaning up my work area for two days. I just spent my time cutting up scrap into squares of various sizes. After doing this I decided that the 2” squares bin was becoming too full again. So figured some 4-patches were in order. Many dozen 4-patches later I have decided they will appear in the sashing of #42 for 2023. 12-1/2” finished blocks this time with 5” finished sashing. It is well on the way you should see it next time I ramble.

I will go back to sewing and see how #42 comes together.

Drive safe during the storm, don’t overdo the shoveling, it’s supposed to be heavy snow. Stay safe until next time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...