Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Monday evening, capping off a beautiful day sitting by the fire and marveling at the calm evening. 



It was a truly wonderful fall day. My memories on Facebook for this day last year showed me saying that my flowers had all been pulled and my little gnome friends put into storage for the winter. Not so this year. 


I did clean out the planter as it was looking quite ratty. I then picked up these mums in an attempt to keep the color alive a little longer. 



I also added mums to the planters by the walkway. I really like this color.



I am glad to say that my hand is recovering quite nicely. My middle finger has healed enough that I could handle the trike with little difficulties. So off we went over hill and over dale. Seldom knowing exactly where we were at any given time. Interesting ride though. We were following the GPS with the set destination of Bailey’s Island. We finally made it and enjoyed a nice walk along the Giant Stairs walkway. 



It was a pleasant walk along overlooking Casco Bay. The tide was rapidly approaching high tide. The waves made us a little tipsy as we watched them come crashing onto the rocks. 



I caught Carol gazing off into the distance as I focused on one of my favorite fall flowers, the Aster. The fields of the different types of the purple flowers were dazzling. 



Quilt #32 for 2023 is ready for Carol to do her magic. A slightly different concept this time. The blocks and the sashing strips share more of the spotlight on this one. Most of the blocks are 64-patch scrap blocks with four 144-patch blocks thrown in for interest. The sashing strips were popped on one end to make V-block stars. Remember one end pops gets me an alternating star effect. Or maybe better put, a star on every other corner stone. For the corner stones I used square in a square blocks of two different types to go along with the alternating effect. I also used a totally different fabric to surround the 144-patch blocks. This gave me a circle of stars around those four blocks.

I am pleased with the outcome, I would be really pleased if I had not twisted one block. Good chance no one but me will ever notice. It will be a struggle but I’ll probably leave it as is. The block would need to be completely removed and rotated 90 degrees. What it is. I wonder what #33 will consist of. 



So until next time, enjoy and stay safe. I’m sorry to say it but this weather is doomed to not last much longer. Enjoy it while it’s here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...