Monday, September 25, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

By the fire, Sunday evening. Beautiful sunset. 


 
Overall it was a nice weekend. We went to Rangeley for Grandson Parker’s soccer game. Was a good game and they won. We had anticipated a chilly afternoon sitting by the soccer field. We had taken our heated winter jackets just in case. Was a beautiful afternoon.


Today I continued splitting wood over at the neighbors, you know that “some for you, some for me” job I have. I have been making very good headway. 

That progress may have had a set back. When I was about to quit this afternoon a piece of maple shifted on me as I split it. It started to pin two fingers against the slide rail on the splitter. Luckily, being the one operating the ram I immediately pushed the ram in the other direction. Too late, the splitter won the battle, not the war, mind you, only the battle. 

Scraped the skin quite bad on my middle finger and almost tore the nail off my ring finger. I rinsed it off well, ( I was wearing gloves) applied antiseptic, gauze, finger splints and elastic wrap. They seem to be doing ok. If my fingers have fallen off by the time you read the next blog, you’ll know that maybe I screwed something up. I’ll spare you the pictures of the wound, this one isn’t too bad. 



I have not attempted yet to see if there is any sewing in my near future. I’m sure I’ll figure something out. Time will tell.

Speaking of sewing. I put the borders on #31 for 2023, so the top is complete. I did something a little different than the last couple. even though this time I still used 6-inch finished blocks, either blocks lying around or made up recently just to have more 6 inch blocks. (You can never have too many). 

This time I decided to go from a 2 inch finished sashing strip and move up to a 3 inch. There are easily two advantages to this move. Number one is that I can allow the sashing strip to make a bigger statement. Carol gave me a gigantic compliment on this top. She said, “I have to look hard to see the blocks.” An advantage of a bold sashing strip. The blocks tend to disappear.

The other major advantage is my layout goes from a 7 x 9 blocks to 6 x 8 blocks. This means my block requirement goes from 63 down to 48. Less blocks equals less work equals more quilts completed.

This time I turned to my Corner Pop II. When I put this on the end of the sashing strip, it gives me the effect of a V-block star. I only popped one end. This gave me the ability to create the alternating sashing strip cornerstones. I used my Square 2 tool for the corner stones themselves. I was pleased with the outcome. 

2023-31


I came up with an idea for the next top, but don’t know yet when I will be able to attack it in earnest. Time will tell after I go in from the fire and head to the studio. I may need to find another time waster to fill my evenings for a while.

Kinda bummed, the weather is supposed to be pretty good. Carol wanted to go for a few trike rides. Unfortunately I think clutch control on the trike might be out of the question. Dang it. We’ll have to go in the car. More fun on the trike but what it is.

Enjoy your week, we’ll probably ramble at least next Friday from which ever of us has something to say. Until then be safe, I’ll try. No promises.

PS figured I found a way to keep sewing, 



the trimming is difficult. I did manage to make a pile of these tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...