Monday, September 18, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

By the fire on a dead calm Sunday evening. The day after the effects of Hurricane Lee.


We had very limited ramifications as result of the event. For us, it was an almost non-event. No complaints mind you, but I had spent my efforts on cleaning the ditch and driveway of pine needles and debris. 



I did this in advance of the two inches of rain they said we were getting. There was no rain, but the ungodly winds blew all kinds of pine needles, pine cones and twigs all back over the driveway. It is supposed to rain a decent amount over the next 24 hours. So they need to go. The beach was covered with pine needles as well. I blew off the debris from the driveway and raked up the beach. Kinda too bad I can’t use the leaf blower on the beach.

Carol and went for a short trike ride the other day. 



We went out through parts of Minot, Hebron, Turner and even a little in Auburn. It was a nice ride. We picked up some apples along the way as fall season means apples, apple sauce and apple crisp. I have already made a batch of apple crisp using some apples picked up on a solo ride. 

The grandson coming round helps, because then I don’t feel obligated to eat the whole thing myself. Carol does have a little. I tried a different recipe I found on the internet. I went searching for a recipe for two servings. It was supposed to be a much smaller version than my standby recipe. It only needed three apples and that was what I had left. I tried it and I’m pretty sure I screwed it up. A: I know I forgot to put the oatmeal that was supposed to be in there and B: I may have used too much sugar. I have not been able to find the recipe again, but I’ll keep looking. I think it might have been real good as the oatmeal would adsorbed the maple syrup that I did remember to put in. Probably why it tasted too sweet.

I did manage to get the two borders on the quilt top I mentioned last time. Quilt top #29 for 2023.

2023-29


When I made the sashing strips on this one I used my Corner Pop II and made the stars look like a normal V-block star. I like the look of this. It is clean and makes a nice symmetrical sashing strip end.

That being said, on #30 for 2023 I decided to try something different. (Remember there are no rules so I can do whatever I want) For #30 I decided to use more of the 6” finished blocks I have accumulated. Much like in my days of construction as a plumber I would work on a house that was being built on “spec”. When I have no direction I and am cleaning up, units and pieces become blocks. Usual finished sized “spec” blocks would be 6, 8, 9 ,10 and 12 inch. Most being in the 6, 8, 9 inch size. While they are being made I have no real idea where they will go but know they will go somewhere. My philosophy regarding scrap quilts is that it is not about the blocks anyway. They just provide added interest and whimsey. It is all about the sashing strips and corner stones.

The sashing strips I decided to use in #30 are different and one I will probably not use again. For my first pop on this sashing I used my Corner pop III popping at 3" on the tool. This gave me pop that was not quite in the middle on the end of the sashing.  For the other side to make my star I used my Corner Pop II, popped at 2-1/2" on the tool. This gave me a look of not as high on the side but wider on the end. This means that the star points float off the cornerstones. 



This means, no worries about loosing the points on the ends. They will float. It sounded like a good idea to try. The 2-1/2" and the 3" were not enough of a difference to make the extra effort look impressive. Maybe 3-1/2" and 2" might have worked. 

I have no idea what I will do on the next one. Pretty sure I have enough 6” blocks to lay out #31 once #30 is complete. That will hopefully be this evening. I have a few more rows to sew together and add borders. Sorry to say it again, but if it’s done I’ll add it, if not you’ll have to wait until next time. Clean up and more 6” block making may start happen before layout of #31 as I have been making a block I kinda like and think has possibilities. I used a few of them in #30. 



So until next time I hope Lee was not an issue for you either, enjoy your week, the weather pattern appears to be setting up for a wet fall. We will take what we get and attempt to smile. Stay safe.

Ps: I got the top complete and the borders on. Here it is, #30 for 2023. 



 It’s only 10:30 so on to #31.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...