Friday, July 21, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

By the fire, Thursday evening. 




It was a beautiful summer day, Carol and I had our normal quiet day. Had a nice kayak ride this afternoon. Lots of neighbor activity on both our beach and theirs. The several young ones present all appeared to have a grand old time swimming and playing in the water. 

I moved three tractor loads of firewood down from up on the hill and refilled the woodbox. My fires every night go through quite a bit of wood. I really need to spend some time scrounging up some more along the sides of the dirt road coming to the house. On cooler days than today though. Although having said that, after I finished moving the wood I proceeded to mow the septic system area up on the hill. It was hot but looks better anyway.

I have no eagle stories to tell, though I did see a large osprey fly over this afternoon. A very big and majestic bird. I love viewing the big predator birds. I always wished I could fly. I did try flying many years ago. It was probably the most fun I ever had, I enjoyed every minute of it. Unfortunately, I decided that it was an endeavor that was much too expensive to become a regular event in my life. I’m glad I got to do it though.

My big lilies are sure to begin opening before too long. When I looked back on last years pictures of them, it was July 24 that I took the picture of the first bloom that had opened. The rest followed much too quickly. Then they were gone until this year.

I found my first string beans at a farm stand yesterday and followed up with picking some blueberries in Mechanic Falls. Very big berries from all the rain. They tasted quite good, both the berries and the beans. I made a cobbler for supper this evening that got rid of a couple cups of the berries. I had too much, but is was good. 



Still puttering on the next quilt project. It appears that there will be a great many half rectangle units or what we call Split Rect units. 



These are being made after finding still more cut off units in my bins as I try to clean the bins out. The last quilt created quite a few when I popped for the sashing strips. I have no real idea what the block will look like that tries to used them all up. I do know it will be scrappy. I’m sure I’ll figure something out. In the meantime I will keep assembling units and see what I come up with. The size of the units I am currently making are 1" x 2" finished. The other size in the mix is 1-1/2” x 3” finished. I honestly have no idea if they will both go into the same top or not. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Friday and Saturday don’t look too inviting when I looked at the weather forecast. Not washout days, but not nice sunny days. My poor plants are screaming for lots of sunshine. Alas, it does not look to be in the cards this summer.

Stay safe and enjoy your weekend. Just be glad it’s not snowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...