Friday, July 7, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

I was by the fire but have now moved up into the studio. What a beautiful day. Vanessa and the grandkids came and we all went swimming. I even went. 





It was only about the 4th time since we moved here that I have gone. I will say it felt refreshing but questionable whether the effort in changing back and forth was worth it. Like I have said before, I associate swimming with an earache, that is what I grew up with. It was fun though.

My lilies are pretty while they are here but they don’t last long enough. 




There are still more to come along with my prize beauty. It is possibly taller than I am and between the three stems they are loaded with buds. I think I counted 25 buds earlier. Now if I can only not break them off mowing my vast lawn, we’ll be all set.



Sitting out by the fire I have noticed wildlife that I have not seen in a while. I have noticed several fireflies flitting about. I remember as a younger version of myself chasing them around the lawn and catching them to place in jars to see them glow. 

Two nights ago I was walking back to my seat by the fire and noticed something moving over at the neighbors. I watched and sure enough I was seeing bats come out from a crack between their main house and an addition. I thought that was interesting, so tonight as I sat by the fire, I sat so I was looking in that direction. I counted 47 bats come out at dusk and head off into the woods to hunt for the night. Glad it’s not my house they are living in. I’ve been there, done that and have no interest in going there again.

On the 3rd we were treated to a very nice fireworks display by neighbors up Mud pond. It lasted 10 - 15 minutes and was very good. Carol slept through it. Oh well. My best pictures of the fireworks I took were reflections off my windows. 



The 4th stayed pretty quiet, fine by me. It was a beautiful night out by the fire. Overall a very quiet weekend on Green pond.

Quilt #27 for 2023 is laid out on the studio floor. It is made up of orphan blocks and blocks I threw together for this project. 



The new blocks are the scrappy ones because that is what I seem to be into right now as I attempt to make room by using up some “bin” fabric. Bin fabric is fabric that is not on the bolt but needs to go. The fabric may come from the “cut size” bins or from the 1/2 yd and larger bins. I’m trying to make room for different fabrics to be brought home and turned from fabric into a quilt top. Why? That, I have not begun to figure out yet. Yet I continue piecing more unique, one of a kind quilts, that have no destination upon completion. Must be the definition of insanity.

It is Friday already tomorrow and we are headed to Rangeley for the day. Daughter Erin is involved in the production of the show they call Diva. Various talented locals join to pretend to be famous singers and perform their songs. Lots of talent. It will be a long day though.

 Enjoy your weekend and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...