Friday, June 9, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~


Thursday evening, I just came in from my tonight’s fire.  Real calm, very few mosquitos and lots of interesting looking clouds. A nice evening by the fire. 




A funny thing happened the other day when I was sewing. Not a funny, ha ha, kinda thing, but a funny did what I think just happen, really happen? kinda thing.  I often use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum out the threads and the lint when I need to change a bobbin.  Not a big deal, except this time as I was cleaning out the bobbin I hear a phwwet noise.  I then think to my self, wasn’t there a pile of pieces, pinned and ready to be run through the sewing machine lying there?  I don’t see them there now. 


Dang, another case of the vacuum cleaner trying to be an overachiever. I proceed to dissect the vacuum cleaner bag and find all my pieces that had been lying patiently waiting to be sewn together , now brutally twisted up within the bag. A sad end, had I not heard them being whisked off up the hose to bag end. (Sorry Tolkien). I managed to salvage them.  There was 5 or 6 in all.  That doesn’t seem like much, but they were 1" corner beams.  And they were pinned for the second side.  It was a good save,  I think I only need 50 or so of them so I would have hated to loose any.  


#25 for 2023 is slowly coming along.  I still don’t fully know what it will look like but it will probably be another one of a kind quilt.  The best kind, for me at least. I really do not like following patterns.  I mean I will when I have to. Back when we had the quilt shop, I often had to make a pattern for a sample.  No where as much fun as designing my own ideas and seeing them come together as a quilt top.  


The weather has not been real, what I guess I would call “user friendly” the last few days.  It rains much too often and the temperature fluctuations are uncomfortable.  I did manage to get a large planter and two smaller planters made and painted during the unpleasant weather.




I made them up in the shed.  This meant that I needed to run the generator to power saws and the like.  I have a battery powered light system that gives me light in the shed.  They give me 2-3 hours of light before they need to be recharged.  I used the generator to charge system when saw was not needed.  (As a slight aside, that was kinda cool.  I just used the two words saw followed by was, the second is the first backwards.)   The two smaller planters will be used for flowers and the larger planter will hopefully hold some cucumbers and other things.  Unfortunately they will need sunshine.  I keep going outside and apologizing to the plants I have already transplanted, mostly for taking them out of the greenhouse and subjecting them to such cold lousy weather.   They will all appreciate the sun when we finally get it.  


Speaking of my flowers, my hybrid lily (a gift from a friend) now has two main stems along with the second small stem from last year. I am very anxious to see what I get for a display this season.  




They contained quite a few blossoms last year I hope their display is even more spectacular this year.  You know, time will tell.  


I have been spending time going through boxes and organizing the Upper Shed, as I call the shed we had built last fall. I moved my mothers old desk and put some manuals etc. in one of the drawers.  As I was doing so and cleaning up I decided that some of the things that I was finding in the boxes might just as well be on display in the shed.  Then, I could at least enjoy them when I was up there.   Hence my corner of the shed.  



If anyone has an idea what the picture at the top center is referring to I would appreciate knowing.  We affectionately refer to as the Jesus picture.  The picture always hung in the den of my grandparents house.  I ended up with it and treasure it for unknown reasons.

Enjoy your weekend, Sunday here is supposed to be real nice, but who knows.  Be safe, enjoy anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...