Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Tuesday evening after a very lovely Memorial weekend. After a nice evening by the fire I am now in the studio. Tonight’s sunset was affected by the smokey haze that floated over the area today. Supposed to be from fires in Canada. 



After the frost warning last night I said enough is enough and we went to Young’s Greenhouse today and obtained the first 40 of the flowers we plant along the retaining wall and various other places around here the yard. With so few places to plant, it seems odd to plant the same thing everywhere. They do quite well though and require very little maintenance other than water and fertilizer. 



I also planted a sweet 100 tomato as well today. They are small cherry tomatoes. I planted some seeds I saved from last years Candyland tomatoes that had come up as weeds. No idea if they will make it to a pot but I’m trying. 



It’s at times like this I miss my greenhouse. I would have started them long before now.

Number 25 for 2023 is coming along slowly. I started with a bin of triangle cut-offs from Corner Pops etc. Some had been trimmed into side triangles, some needed to be. I looked at the bin and decided it was either use them or throw them away. 

Kinda like the old saying, fish or cut bait. I decided to use them. I started turning them into Corner Beams. I had several different sizes, some with a lot of fabrics in common. I started making three different sizes. I turned them into blocks with finished sizes of 3”, 5” and 
7-1/2”. 



Odd combination of sizes, but that just adds to the challenge of the design. My current design, albeit still in my head, requires 24 of the larger blocks and about 50 each of the other two. An aggressive project that has slowed down quilt top completion considerably. A fun grouping of blocks and is using up a variety of different sized pieces to create them. The design may change depending on design thoughts roaming through my head. Hopefully not creating too many new orphan blocks.

This nice weather is supposed to hold for a bit and I hopefully will get my minimal gardening completed. 

Get out and enjoy the late spring weather, it will be too hot before you know it. Until next time, be safe, be well and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...