Monday, March 6, 2023

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening from the studio. It would be way too windy for a fire tonight even if it was warmer. That time hopefully will come. Much of this weekend was spent in the relocation of snow. 




We received about a foot of the white winter precipitation. The snowblower worked great. I blew all the way up to the top of the driveway to throw the snow out into the woods. I shudder to think where the plow guy would have put all the snow. I don’t really think that the plow guy will be considered a necessity in another season. I’ll need a sand guy and that’s pretty much it. The snowblower makes a much, much neater driveway than a plowed one does. Luckily the wind did not blow while the snow was light and fluffy. This meant that there wasn’t and will not be much snow blowing around.



I finished quilt #15 for 2023. I used the same idea as I used in #14 as I said I would. There are three different fabrics used for the bowties in this one. I used the same border as #14 as well. 


 
If you look close I popped the corners with the bowties around the center block and used the same medallion I used in the cornerstones of the border, as the replacement triangles. A subtle detail hopefully someone will notice.

Here is where the border idea came from. 



Remember, these are being created as possible donation quilts. The donation quilts are using up fabric quite nicely. Although mostly scraps are being used for the tops, yardage is being used for the backs. The fabric is leftover from the quilt shop when we closed it down. The batting, however, we have to purchase. Batting is expensive. As anyone who has followed us knows, we are using quality fabric and use quality batting to produce top quality quilted results.

I have decided that any of the currently being made tops are available for sale at the bargain price of $500.00. Most of proceeds will be used to purchase batting and support my habits (coffee and sourdough bread primarily) so that I can continue spending 10 - 15 hours sewing and coming up with new ideas. 

Payment will need to be cashiers check as we no longer do credit card etc. sorry for the inconvenience.

Remember, all 15 completed quilt tops so far this year are to some degree different. I struggle to continue to do this. I am almost done with the 3-1/2” squares and the format I have been using. I have shrunk from three bins full of 3-1/2” scraps to one bin less than half full. Time to move on as soon as I use up all the 4-patches and partial 4-patch blocks in the queue. There will probably be at least 2 more beyond #16.

#16 for 2023 is well on the way. I have been pairing squares and then making 4-patch blocks for days now ever since I finished #15. I have plenty to finish #16 but I am now obsessed with the pairing and 4-patch process so as to enable me to see the bottom of the final bin. I guessed 20 tops to get there when I started, we’ll see how close I come. I reserve the right to count my Son-in-law’s quilt as two if the need arrises so I can reach my goal.

After the 3-1/2” squares are reduced, I think I will spend a little time sorting out the fabric in the last big bin of the “who knows what” that is in my closet beside my sewing station. I would love to put a double sided fabric bolt bin from storage there instead. I plan on taking some measurements tomorrow to find out if it would fit. Hopefully, it will, it would give me an incentive to clean out the last dang bin to make room for it.

I’ll keep on puttering and see what I can arrive at as my quilt top saga continues. 

Enjoy your week. I’m sure someone will yak at you later in the week. Until then, remember, wherever you go, there you are. Put your damn phone in your pocket and try and enjoy being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...