Monday, December 19, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening, the day after the storm. We have been without power and running on backup generator for a day and a half now. It is nice to continue along with life with full use of everything but the noise is monotonous. I can’t wait for it to be back to power provided by the power company. Not power by propane.

There are a lot of trees and large branches down everywhere. Had a close call for the shelter logic hoop house, 


 
and another just behind the new shed. 



More things to do before it snows again next weekend. It would be nice to get at least the pine consolidated into one pile out of plow way.

The storm, however, did not amount to much more than a mess here at the house. We received about 6” of wet heavy snow. I did get to use my new snowblower and, while there remains a learning curve get to know her better, I think it will work fine. 



Notice I called it a female because I suspect I’ll always be trying to learn her better. The wet snow meant that movement on the snow left an inch or more of compacted snow/ice on top of the blacktop. I have found that it far easier to keep the blacktop non-slippery than the compacted snow/ice non-slippery. I opted to scrape off much of the snow/ice layer while it was still warm enough to accomplish this with relative little effort. 

It was only later after I went inside that I realized how much effort was really involved. I knew my arms, shoulders and upper back would hurt but I was not prepared for my butt to be complaining. Since surgery I am amazed how often we use those muscles doing normal things. Probably too much information for some but hey, I’m just trying to share what I am doing and things I am learning along the way.

I have drawn a new block of Dad’s Doodle. 



As drawn it would be a 20” finished block, I think I can work around that. I currently see it floating on a dark background, maybe two of them. With various stars and other blocks of interest being involved. Too bad Carol is unable to custom quilt anymore because what is in my head at this point includes a lot of negative space. Maybe I need to learn to custom quilt my own show quilt tops. I probably would be better off to have Carol E2E with Lena and get a better result. Negative space is over rated.

Am still using up my 2” squares and making 4-patch units that after trimming into 2” finished 4-patch grow into larger blocks. 



Don’t know exactly where they will go from here but they are no longer just 2” scraps. I guess it’s progress.

We don’t usually use our sewing machines when on backup power. (I know we should be able to but we just don’t) I am anxiously waiting to be able to use my machine. I have trimmed all my 4-patch units and have a huge pile pinned and ready to go units. They said 10:00 PM. Time will tell. It would be nice to get the pile processed tonight. 

10:00 o’clock came and went, at 11:00 I rechecked the CMP web site. The latest restoration time is now December 20 at 11:30 PM. I guess the sewing machine needs to learn how to run on back up power.

I hope everyone did alright with the storm, a little lighter snow next time though please.

Enjoy your week, they are saying the next storm is just before Christmas. If traveling be safe, enjoy family and friends. Carol & I will be celebrating with family after Christmas when hopefully all are in better health. Christmas will be spent home alone, I got a chicken to roast so we won’t starve. 

So until next time enjoy your week heading up to the Holidays, I’ve still got cookies to make, sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...