Friday, October 28, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

No fire tonight, way too windy. The wind is surely wreaking havoc on the remaining leaves. I am so very impressed at how many of the dang things there are. They come in all sizes from little ones to great big ones.



This a picture of the road going down the less traveled side of the pond. I’m glad I don’t have to rake these. 



Thursday morning as I went out to see how many of today’s harvest I can remove. 



I managed to remove seven trips up the hill. It took me most of the day and I am exhausted, didn’t get half of what there was there. Tomorrow there will be more. Carol snapped a picture of me using my new tool. 




It worked quite well removing the leaves directly from the water without first raking them up onto the beach. Still a very slow, tiring process. 

I had to buy a new rake because the leaves caused a casualty and a rake was reduced to a very short person’s rake. I will retire it with dignity but I have replaced it.



Well, I managed to get the last 5 blocks I needed to add another row to the current project. 


 
As you can see I had just enough of the two toned blue fabric to complete as desired. This is what I had left. 



Cutting it a little close if you ask me. Now for the borders, first will be 1-1/2” finished of the dark gray. Next will be a 1-1/2” finished pieced border followed by another 1-1/2” of the dark gray again. I have started building the pieces for the middle border and have many already complete. The outer border may change depending on how much I like the pieced border. Many more pinwheels are being used for border units. They are first being trimmed down to be centers of 1-1/2” Square 2 units, much like the Square 2 units in the stars in the main part of the quilt. 

Remember I said I was making this one for me? I decided I would use some fabric that Carol and I picked up at Little Quilts Quilt Shop on our travels south one year for vacation a long time ago. The fabric is some rather cute small critters. One is of frogs and the other is of a rabbit fishing off a turtles back. Thought they would work nicely for this project to add a little whimsy and something fitting our current lifestyle. The fabric.



The blocks they are going into. 



These blocks will be alternated with pieces of the gray, at least that is the direction I’m headed in right now. The math says that I only need 68 of the pieced units to alternate around the quilt. The other question is what will I use for cornerstones for the quilt. I will be assembling the borders as a unit (all three added to the body of the quilt at the same time) which gives me a 4-1/2” finished block needed for the corners. I haven’t thought far enough ahead to know what they will be yet but I do know they will not be 4-1/2” squares.

No carpenters yet but they are scheduled for tomorrow mid morning to replace the ridge vent on the ridge of the roof. Hopefully this will resolve a dripping condensation issue we get after real cold weather during the winter. Hopefully this means that next week he can build the platform for my shelter logic storage shed and maybe that can solve a different condensation problem. This would allow me to get the summer furniture stored before it gets too late. Time will tell.

Decided it was time to put up the bird feeders for the winter. I ordered a new feeder pole with lots of hooks and attachment points. I also ordered a baffle that is supposed to help with deterring the squirrels. 



Time will tell how it works. (see how well that phrase works) Carol and I both enjoy watching the birds enjoy their bounty. Don’t like the squirrels or the raccoons. Hopefully the baffle works.

For us, it looks like half decent weather for the weekend. I’m sure I’ll be spending at least some of my time raking leaves. Maybe the wind will actually die down for a few days and I can spend time doing none leaf related tasks. Between the beach and the driveway I spend way too much time moving leaves. I used to like fall. 

Enjoy your weekend, I’ll try. Stay safe, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...