Monday, March 7, 2022

A Close One!

Carol here ~

Remember that big-ass quilt I told you about last week that was 106” x 106”?


Morning Star, Pattern by Pat Speth


I decided to load it onto Lena and begin the quilting. Started to piece the backing. Don’t know why I looked at the back as I was stitching but this is what it looked like…



The stitching had started out looking good but about two feet in my sewing machine decided to throw a hissy fit. Spent thirty minutes with Jack the Ripper.

Finally get the backing pieced and pressed then proceed to load it onto Lena. Had made it 112” wide, figuring I’d have about 3” extra on each side.

Next I lay the batting on top of the backing. I had to use a king size batting which is 120” x 120”. I trimmed off about 8” from one side as it would be in the way and not needed. Got it basted down on top of the backing, grab the top to load on next.

Why is it so big? Did I measure the backing wrong? Double check, it is 112”. Re-measure the top. uh-oh. It measures 108” x 108”. The big-ass quilt got bigger.

I normally like to have at least 4” extra backing and batting on either side of the quilt. This left me with about 1-1/2” of backing on each side and barely any extra batting. (because when I trimmed it I cut crookedly)

I decide to go for it and see what happened. It was pretty darn close, this is how close, too close…but I made it work.



Finished up the quilting yesterday. Used my favorite pattern, MOULIN ROUGE from Urban Elementz.




It's a good thing winter is almost over.  This is my favorite winter hat.

Really need to get my glasses straightened

I like it because it has the ear flaps.  The other day I noticed that it had several holes in it.  

What???



I've only had it a few years, bought in the early 1980's to go with a new ski outfit.  

You'd think it would last more that forty years wouldn't you?  HA!  Guess I've gotten my money's worth but will probably splurge for a new one for next year.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...