Monday, February 21, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Nice chilly day on Sunday. Carol and I had a nice walk. I personally liked the 50 degree days of last week better, but as Carol was quick to remind me, I will be bitching about the heat before long. I’m retired I need something to do. I like bitching about the weather, I’m a Mainer.

I’m still cleaning up scraps, but I did start a project. Not an original, it actually came out of the book I mentioned last time. It literally came out of the book. This is the block I found in the book. 


It comes from the book “Nickel Quilts” by Pat Speth. The pattern is called “Morning Glory”. It looks like a nice stash buster even if the pattern is not mine.

Anyway, the block that I found in the book is one that Carol made during one of our winter vacations to Jekyll Island, GA. I’m guessing it was a sample or test block. She said she would like another top like that one so I said why not.

So, as I clean the stash, if I find something that will work for “Morning Glory” I cut it to fit that size, which in this case is not a “normal” size I save. Size that I need for small light squares is 2-1/4”. That is not a size I have a bin for. I can see where this is headed, I am going to need a warehouse to hold the bins of little pieces. I’m already cutting to most sizes from 1-1/2” up to 6” in 1/2” increments. I’m not going to 1/4” increments. Enough is enough.

I actually threw away a handful of pieces from an old quilt top. I could have salvaged some pieces from it. Although as I write this, I am thinking I could have removed a couple of nice pinwheel blocks before throwing it away. Hmmm. I must learn to draw the line somewhere.

So I am now cleaning up fabric, making order from cutting bigger pieces and placing them neatly in bins of freshly cut smaller pieces. Don’t diagnose me, I’m sure there is a whole alphabet of psychological terminology that could be used to describe what goes on in my head. I’m sure OCD is one of them. Anal attention to detail is possibly another.

I’ll keep you posted as the project develops, it’s a rather simple project, but sometimes those cause the most problems.

Enjoy the beginning of your week. I’ll probably yak at you later in the week. Until then stay safe, have fun and keep smiling. It’ll make people wonder what you’re up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...