Monday, December 20, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here, Sunday evening. I awoke this morning to 5” or so of light fluffy snow. The plow guy came before I was fully functioning so the rest of the snow removal was all done by the shovel full and then carried to where it could either stay or be moved again the next time the plow truck is here. 



I managed to get my 5000 steps in just walking snow around. Hence the reason I call it relocating snow. I just take it from where it landed and move it somewhere else. My title these days is Snow Relocation Facilitator. It doesn’t seem like it hurts as much if I have a fancy title.

On Saturday we delivered the Hunter Star quilt that Carol and I made for Emma, my granddaughter Kailey’s best friend. If the grin is any indication, I think that she liked her new quilt. 



I have been working away on the latest creation. No name yet but it is to be all Flying Geese. I showed you the block last time. I have since done the math to determine how many geese I need and I must say sometimes math is not your friend when quilting. I need 672 - 2”x4”, 168 - 1”x2”, and 336 - 1/2”x1” Flying Geese. I have no idea where I am in that process. I hate counting, who wants to count 672 of anything or even 336? I seldom count to see where I am. I just keep making units.



After a while though, it is time to start sewing the different pieces together and make actual blocks, thus revealing where I am in the process. I think I have arrived at that point in this quilt. I have made a lot of the 2”x4” geese and about half of the 1”x2” and am working now on some 1/2”x1” so I can put some blocks together and appear like I am accomplishing something. I will admit though that those little ones are are downright puny. 



They are hard on my fingers, hardest most though on my thumb. When I was in my early 20’s I dropped an axe on the back of my thumb while splitting wood. Unfortunately, the axe was sharp. I cut the tendon and nicked the bone. It all healed, but fast forward 40 years and the nodule that was left on the back of my thumb does not appreciate all the hours spent quilting. My left hand suffered several injuries during my plumbing days and is the one that stiffens the most. I may have to move to bigger pieces, but alas I don’t see that happening.

Well I’m going back to working on making the little geese and sewing them together. Maybe getting a block or two together tonight. It’s only 9:30 so there are several hours left tonight.

So have a good week leading up to Christmas, stay safe, small crowds are better than large ones and better still with family you know and trust. I’ll talk to you on Christmas Eve day. Until then …

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

 

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and Carol and the whole family. Have a beautiful holiday! sue

    ReplyDelete

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...