Friday, October 29, 2021

Fifty!

Dan here, tomorrow is Carol’s and my 50th wedding anniversary. This post is for her.

50 years is a long time. As a hippie having lived through the 60’s and survived, I came out convinced we’d never survive as a planet for another 50 years ~ marriage seemed like a safe bet. We were 18, right out of high school.

Carol has been my “old lady” since early in high school and although I have received slack from people for calling her that, there is no derogatory feelings behind the term, only love. Marriage seemed like a good thing to do. We fit, and our love looked to last forever. Forever has not gotten here yet and I hope it takes it’s time getting here. I’m not ready to stop being us as I stopped being me more than 50 years ago. I have no desire to learn how to be me without her.

So we got married at 18.



At that point in life it seems that you will live forever. I knew I needed to look no further for a person to spend my life with. I had found her. Why confuse the issue and continue to look when all that is desired is in front of you. I didn’t, we got married. I was glad Carol was as blinded as I was.

I have learned many things over the years. Looking back, there were times when a different decision might have been a better one, but I would’t change a thing. I only wish I had paid a little more attention to the little things as the years went by. I made what I thought were the big things work and we had a good life, but I feel now I overlooked some, or maybe many, of the little things. Only to learn that the little things, were the big things, or that they were the important things.

We had our struggles and problems, I’d be lying if I said otherwise. I always had “us” in my focus and am glad I was able to convince her to come with me on this journey of life. Rangeley was a good choice for us. I needed out of Auburn, I needed to see if I could make me work, knowing that if I worked, we would. I think we did. I thank you Carol for trusting in me when I know I sometimes do things that do not seem trustworthy. My heart has always been in the right place.

I thought retirement would bring us to a different place in the world, but I guess when you think about it, we started here, here can be a good place to be.

Here are some "through the years" photos...



















Carol here ~ this is for Dan.

50 years ago I married you ~ my best friend, soulmate, love of my life, my rock.  Yes, we have had ups and downs as any marriage does, but that is okay.  Without the downs we wouldn't appreciate the ups as much.

These last few months you have been my rock, don't think I could have made it through with out you.  You have driven me to appointments, waited around for hours, done the housework and the laundry and most of all, made me laugh when I didn't think I had any laughter left in me.

Thank you for always being here because.....

You are Still the One.

6 comments:

  1. You guys are awesome!! Congratulations on being such a great couple and for those 50+ years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, you two! Wishing you many more years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Wonderful that you are still so much in love. Here's to many more good years ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy 50th! It's been a pleasure to have been a small part of the journey through Quilt Camps. Carol, I have to say that in the 4th picture that Dan put in the picture show, I looked at it and thought "I thought they only had two daughters!" and then I looked again, and it was you Carol sitting next to Dan, not another daughter. So youthful and beautiful! Congratulations to all of you for lives living well. And Best Wishes for another couple of decades -- at least!! ~~ Prudy

    ReplyDelete

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...