Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Rona 16 and Plants

Dan here, Wednesday AM, good morning. As many of you know I am not a morning person but here goes. 

Have had some cooler and wetter weather which meant some sewing time. Daughter Erin was coming to stay overnight Monday so floor needed to be cleaned up so the Murphy bed could be used. 



So, a good portion of Sunday evening and most of the day on Monday was spent getting the top of Rona 16, or as I am calling it, Fairy Stars, off the floor. I managed to get the top pieced with the exception of the borders. Framing border will be 1-1/2” finished and possibly a 4-1/2” piano key border to finish it off. If any of you remember back that far (I started this one in mid-April) it was to use up the piano key border pieces that were left over from the last quilt top. Hopefully they work for this one. 


Not much else has been going on around here, Carol been feeling poorly and I’ve been dragging as well. Hopefully a weather switch back to more seasonable temperatures and a little less rain. We needed the rain, but don’t need it every day. Walking for the most part is still on track, I’m finding it was easier to keep walking when it was colder. Summer means that I must choose walking times based on the days temps. Still shooting for between 5 and 8 miles a day, some days I make it some days I don’t. That’s ok though, I’m still ahead of where I need to be as long as I keep it up.

On a slightly scary note, our oldest grandson Evan obtained his drivers license yesterday. Congratulations Evan, now he just needs to learn to drive like an old lady so he gets to be an old man. Hopefully, he learns this earlier than I did. I had many speeding tickets in my past, hopefully no more in my future.

I had mentioned before I had two plants that I brought from Rangeley that survived the move and renovations to the house and grounds. Last time I told you about the Meadow Rue given to me by a quilting friend from one of our quilt camps. The other was from an old plumbing customer who I assisted getting a greenhouse going for his gardening business. Still kinda a quilting customer as well as his wife was an early Threads Galore customer and student of Carol’s early teaching, back when the showroom at the shop would be rearranged and classes taught there.

That plant is a hybrid lily. It is a really tall specimen and is quite showy. In Rangeley the deer loved to eat the buds if I failed to spray them. A couple years the deer got them all. No deer here, at least not right up to the house, where the lily is located. I have been patiently watching ten buds slowly develop. Then, like most plants, starting at the bottom they have started to pop open. Very pretty, I hate removing the stamens because they add to the color but they stain the buds in the rain and by removing them, the flowers last longer. Today I see that bud number 8 is starting to open. It is always a wait and see if the first blossom hangs on until the final bud breaks open. Fingers crossed. 




Hopefully Carol feels better soon as the cucumbers and the cherry and berry sized tomatoes have taken over the planters and are doing great. Only problem is that Carol is the tomato eater, not me. 




Speaking of the planter, the bees love me. About any time of day to stand by the planter all you hear is the constant buzz as they pollinate the many blossoms present. They love Carol’s cleome along with the cucumbers. Fun to watch as they fly about doing their thing. I think this one fell asleep midway through the collection process. 



Now to get ready to take Carol for weekly Dr. appointment so enjoy your day, I’ll try. So remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...