Monday, June 21, 2021

Dan's Ramblings & LOTS of Photos

Dan here, coming to you from the fireplace on Sunday night. 


Beautiful day and a beautiful evening. Long day, Carol twitched something in her back which set her back a little. Hopefully just for the day. Tomorrow is another day.

Daughter Erin arrived on Friday and stayed over and we walked and kayaked twice around the pond. She has more energy than her old man, thats for sure.


Other than that not much has been happening here. Was too hot to walk most of the day today and wanted to stay closer to the house. As I write this I am being serenaded by the bull frogs over on Mud Pond. There are at least 4 or 5 of them, maybe more. I hear them from several locations on the pond, each trying to out do the other or maybe just singing for the shear joy of it. Being able to make a noise like that would be so cool, hopefully they do get to sing just for fun sometimes.

New solar flag light set up and works fine. 



My small attempts at gardening are doing well. 





The window boxes seem to be slow to show good color in both the leaves and the blossoms. Hopefully it is still early, Carol and I keep saying it is only mid-June. Just the beginning of summer. Can’t say that much longer, it is time for stuff to grow and do it’s thing. Tomatoes and cucumbers are looking good. Many of the flowers are as well. 






This is a first for me, I did not over plant when I set out the plants that I bought. That is probably the big difference. I am used to setting out my own plants from the greenhouse. I had way more than I needed but found a place for every one. Big difference when you go buy them all. When the plant is supposed to grow to be 10 - 12 inches across why plant them 3” apart as I did in the past? This year I spaced them according to the plant’s requirements and will enjoy what I get for a show. If by fall I decide I did not like this year’s planting maybe next year I’ll put more thought into it before I get to the nursery and come up with something different.

The view up the pond this evening has been as beautiful as usual. Here are several of this evening’s pictures. 




Carol and I joke about my plethora of up the pond pictures. Eventually I will have as many pictures looking up Green Pond and as I have looking out at the Height of Land. 

Last trip to Rangeley

My many garden gnomes and whimsy are set among the flower boxes, some are beginning to show some wear and repair marks. 





Hopefully I can get a few more years out of some of my favorites. 





Tomorrow is another day hopefully a good day. Love to all and remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

My ending is ever more poignant tonight as it is Father’s Day. The statement I end every blog with is a paraphrase of what I heard my father say many hundreds of times during my life. He has been gone over 25 years but with tears rolling down my cheeks I type them for you as he said them all those times, “if you get there first, draw a blue line, if I get there first I’ll rub it out.” Happy Father’s Day Dad, I’ll trust you rubbed it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...