Monday, May 17, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sorry to be MIA most of last week. Lots happening here, Carol will probably give you an update at the end of this week.

I think we are getting some warmer weather. I don’t know if I really want it though. Warmer weather will bring out the black flies in hoards. I have had a few nice evenings by the fire lately. Here is my after sunset picture from the other night. 

Sunset

Carol has joined me briefly most nights but the chairs by the fire need upgrading to something a little more comfortable. Most nights it’s still been windy until dark. I like to start the fire, either before supper or right after. I’m usually ready to come in by 10:00. Then I go up to the studio and sew for a couple hours.

Some progress happens almost every day on whatever my current quilt project is. I very seldom have more than one quilt in construction at any one time.

Currently I am making and re-making the same units; 1/2 square triangles, half rectangles or Split Rect units, and sashing strips that get either one or two ends popped and replacement triangles added. All pieces then need to be trimmed and put together to make the blocks. Thankfully, I only need 154 - five inch blocks with sashing strips and corner stones. 108 sets with both ends of sashing strips popped and 46 with only one end popped. 




I think on my last count of blocks, I had 85 blocks done. Most have at least one sashing strip attached and many of them have both attached. That means, lets see, 154 minus 85 borrow the 1, 5 from 14 … ah the heck with it, I’ll just keep making blocks and count them again in a few days.

I just have to be careful, I have been known to make too many extras. Naturally these get saved, how do you think I fill bins with leftovers if I only make enough and not have any extras? Just like meal leftovers, block leftovers may be quite satisfying to come across another day. When making scrap blocks and scrap quilts, sometimes an extra block or two allows for choosing a different look by swapping out one or more blocks for a different effect.

I rode to Rangeley on Tuesday last week to have my grandson, Evan, drive me around and see if we could get parallel parking figured out. He has his driver’s permit and is scheduled for his driving test tomorrow.

I honestly do not remember the last time I needed to parallel park. How difficult is it to drive around the block until you can drive into a spot? I guess it is just a skill considered necessary in order to get a drivers license. It was an interesting time to say the least. I got to spend some quality time with my grandson and I think he had a good feel for parking when he got done. Hopefully, his other skills will meet the approval of his examiner. He had a lousy driver education instructor and could have benefited from a more thorough driving instructor.

Until next time, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

2 comments:

  1. Dan, beautiful photo. Just love those nighttime shots. You are progressing nicely with your blocks. Looking forward to the finished product.
    Hello to Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan - I actually parallel parked this past Saturday for the first time in ages - only took me 2 tries to snug it up to the curb!

    ReplyDelete

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...