Tuesday, January 5, 2021

First Finish of 2021

Dan here ~

While I waited the few days for my replacement fabric to arrive so I could finish Rona 7, I started Rona 8. I decided to reuse the concept of the 1-1/2” finished squares going around the framed blocks, like I used in Rona 7.

I started looking through the bins of pieces and scraps in the closet beside my sewing station. I see several edgings that Carol has deposited in my area to “dispose” of that came from when she trimmed a quilt. I also see a couple bins of leftover and orphan blocks.

Scrap Quilt
Rona 8


So I decided to use the orphan blocks and frame them with a dark grey fabric from the quilt trimmings. I used a light grey from a bolt of “stash” fabric for sashing. For cornerstones I used the same red I have used in several other quilts in my Rona series of scraps. I kept it small this time, only making it about 56”x 65”. I think Rona 9 will probably follow along with this idea of using up scrap blocks and orphan blocks.

Scrap Quilt
Rona 8


Speaking of Rona 7, I was getting ready to “stay stitch" all around the edge so all the border stitches would stay where I put them. I noticed that one of those pesky 4-patch on point units I was trying so hard to get all going the same direction ~ well, one of them isn't. Luckily shouldn’t be real hard to fix, at least it is on the edge. Glad I caught it when I did.

Scrap Quilt
Can you see it?


On my walk the other day, just before it snowed, I decided to walk down over the ridge to see a beaver house a little closer. Last year, we sometimes saw the beaver on the top of it’s house sunning itself in the sun. 

Walk

Walk


After snapping a couple pictures, (no signs of the beavers) I looked back up the hill realized why I never walked down before. 

It was a long way down there, hence a steep climb back up. As I turned to walk back up I see a well used game trail in the leaves that travels along the side of the bank. Hard to see but my foot is in the trail.

Walk


I would say the trail was used by deer. I followed it for a ways then followed a side trail the rest of the way up the hill. I walk about the same walk every day but there is usually something different to see. 

Get out and enjoy the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. You are a man of many talents. What beautiful creations you make....am so impressed!! Hugs to you and your sweet wife. Praying you and yours have great New Year!!! <3 Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. Glad you are enjoying my journey of using up the scraps and our stash. Hugs back, Stay safe.

      Delete

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...