Friday, October 9, 2026

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Thursday, nice day today. Wind not too bad and the sun was out so not too cold. I worked on the driveway for a while. I am putting a skim coat of finer gravel over most of the driveway now trying to smooth it up a little. I kinda wish I had counted how many times I bounced this on the ground today. 



It worked rather well, I think it is left over from when my in-laws had docks. I was surprised it worked better than driving on it did. Mainly because it did not leave a directional pattern in the gravel. Sure made the arms tired.

The plants are gone. There was a frost (a little one) the other night so I cut everything up and threw it in the compost. Gone for another season. There may need to be some changes to the planters next year, as I believe one has already been filled again with roots from the surrounding trees. I will need to do some digging in the bed and see if there are any tree roots there. I will then decide from what I want to do. Possibly raise up on a platform, once was enough to dig all the dirt out and refill. Once more will be two times too many. Time will tell.

The leaves on the beach have started, the count is at 7 for tractor buckets hauled off. That number will probably double as Vanessa and Jakob are coming tomorrow to help with that chore and a couple others. Hopefully the wind is not blowing too hard. There will be plenty more leaves later as the oaks are just starting to drop their leaves. I think that a good number of the pines are through dropping their supply of needles, they are surprisingly heavy to rake up.

I saw this the other day as I was puttering and had my eyes open. 



I like to see the different shapes they come in. There are a lot of them this time of year. The rodents will eat some and leave others alone, I wonder how they know which is which?

I will need to get on top of some wood collecting as soon as I am through spending time on the driveway. That project will be complete soon and will need a few rain events to see what happens to it when it rains. Can’t say I didn’t try. About all my wood is gone and will need to come up with 6-8 cords to fill up the neighbors wood shed and to get my stack started. Who knows, I may want to sit by the fire next summer. Did not do much of it this season, the fire danger was high and I was selling my wood as fast as I could gather it. Maybe next year.

There are still many projects to complete this fall, many fall into the boring category crap that just needs to be put somewhere else. Chairs, tables and kayaks etc. things that just won’t be needed again until warm weather returns. Hopefully it comes as quick as fall did. This has got to have been the shortest year on record. It felt it at least for me.

Not much else going on, still working on quilt #48 for 2026. It should be ready for next time. Next Saturday I will be participating in a small quilt show on Paris Hill at the old Academy building. I will need to decide soon what I want to take up for people to see. Hoping for a good turn out. You got it, time will tell.


I just took a time lapse photo out the studio window. Nothing much to see, thought the big dipper was kinda cool though.



Stay safe and enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ Thursday, nice day today. Wind not too bad and the sun was out so not too cold. I worked on the driveway for a while. I am put...