Tuesday, October 15, 2024

The Featherweights

Carol here ~

We have two Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machines.


The black one is a limited edition anniversary model made in 1951 to celebrate Singer's hundredth year.  The emblem is inscribed "A Century of Sewing Service 1851-1951.  Of the 1, 950,000 221's made only 12% were this model.

We also have a white one from 1964, manufactured in Kilbowie, Scotland.  I don't know as much about this one although when I tried a search to find out more about it I was very surprised at how much these white ones are selling for!  Wowser!

Anyhow, we decided we should probably sell them as we don't use them and we are still trying to purge stuff after selling our Rangeley properties over five years ago.  

We took the white one to be serviced as it needs a new belt.  I sewed with the black one a few days ago ~ I just love the sound of the Featherweight stitching.

Maybe I'll keep one of them, but which one?  Maybe I should just sell them both?  We certainly don't need them as we also have four Pfaffs, a Janome and a 1974 Bernina that belonged to my grandmother Coolidge.  Decisions, decisions.

I'll let you know what we decide.

My sister Terri has our grandmother Joan Edith Skillings Coolidge's 1964 white Featherweight.  Her granddaughter, Annie, showed an interest in sewing so Terri had the machine serviced and Annie came over yesterday for her first lesson, mainly getting to know the machine and practice sewing straight lines.  She did great!  We might need to adjust the foot pedal a bit as it seems to have only one speed ~ fast!



So fun!

I finished the binding on quilt #13 for 2024.

2024-13

I was behind on the washing of the completed quilts because we were having washing machine problems.  The water temperature was not working correctly so I never knew if I would have the cold water needed for the final rinse of the quilt.  Dan had to order parts, it's fixed and I'm caught up again.

The leaf raking of the beach has begun.  Boy, didn't the wind blow over the weekend!  Lots of leaves fell and headed our way.


It's still pretty looking up the pond.  Here's the view from my recliner.


We've had so many spectacular sunsets and sunrises, hope you have been able to enjoy them too.

Sunrise 10/12/24


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Featherweights

Carol here ~ We have two Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machines. The black one is a limited edition anniversary model made in 1951 to cele...